Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userinit.exe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:08 AM

Every now & again,i run CCleaner to 'clean up' my PC & i delete old Prefetch items at the same time. I've noticed that one item that used to be there,

''userinit.exe'' is no longer there,it's no longer part of my Task Manager processes either.

This is what MS say about userinit.exe :- " Specifies the programs that Winlogon runs when a user logs on. By default, Winlogon runs Userinit.exe, which runs logon scripts, reestablishes network connections, and then starts Explorer.exe, the Windows user interface."

I'm not that PC savvy when it comes to thing like this,but when 'items' go missing,i tend to try to find out what's happened to change things. I had a look at my registry,running a search for 'userinit.exe.' & i found a registry entry 'block userinit' in a folder labelled 'New Windows' - see attachment.

Does this seem odd or ...??????. Any info.on this would be very much appreciated. My PC seems to be running perfectly so ?.

All the other 'userinit' registry entries are still in place.  Weird !. :crazy:

Edited by Saska01, 04 August 2017 - 03:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:40 AM

what's your OS Saska?

did you have userinit.exe as a EXCLUDE or INCLUDE in CC?  (just wondering how knew it was missing?)

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#3 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

I'm using Win.7 Home Premium 64bit.  Regarding any setting for 'userinit' in CCleaner,i didn't know that you could have such a thing. I just checked - I've got nothing at all in the separate Include / Exclude settings in CC.

I knew it was missing when i viewed the Prefetch items that i was deleting. It always used to be there, but suddenly it wasn't. It just seems odd that's all. As i said my PC is working fine. But i wonder where the 'Block userinit' came from ?. Would it be safe to delete it from the Registry as there's no value set for it ?.

#4 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

this could well be one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of issues.

unnecessary hacking of the Registry is never something to take lightly.

even Registry cleaning via 3rd party programs should be used with caution as the risks far outstrip any small potential for gain in space or performance.

as to why/where this 'Block userinit' thing came from, I can't say.

sometimes you just have to accept things and move on (which is a pity because you never learn why) :)

Edited by dropbear, 04 August 2017 - 05:34 PM.

You won't regret it.

#5 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:15 AM

Hello - Many thanks for your comments. Re. 'let it be' - i tend to agree,although i've deleted several 'not right' items from my registry in the past. If i look through my registry,there are ''items'' that i've never even heard of ie ''Joshua F Madison'' - i literally have that name in the registry ???. How things get there i don't know . :(

#6 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

I too years ago used to be of the mindset, "how did that get there?", "what's it doing there?" etc, and happily (ignorantly) blew it out of the Registry.

And almost all (not always) there would be no side-effect - that one could tell.

Then months down the track, you'd notice unusual things, or unexplained weirdness.

Turns out there are 3 outcomes of hacking the Registry - 1) it all goes swimmingly well, 2) all looks good but something, somewhere gets broken, 3) you just nuked your PC.

So with 2 out of 3 odds that you'll make things worse, touching the Registry is never a 'first thing to try' option.

And in my experience, your problem is almost always resolved via other means.

Edited by dropbear, 05 August 2017 - 06:41 AM.

You won't regret it.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=joshua+f+madison+registry&oq=Joshua+F+Madison&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l2.3176.3176.0.5877.1.1.0.0.0.0.105.105.0j1.1.0....0...1.2.64.psy-ab..0.1.105.gnlPYagKOpU

Louis

#8 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:05 AM

Hi hamluis - 'Spot on' - I do have the 'Convert' app .on my PC. I brought it from my workplace on a 'floppy' disk when i retired, & i've had it on each of my PC's since. I never connected it with any name though.

dropbear - i totally agree.The things i've deleted from the registry  in the past have had 'no value' set. Maybe i'm fortunate,but i've never had any PC problems afterwards. Sound advice nevertheless !

:thumbup2:

PS - Is there a way of adding an attachment (pics. etc.) to these posts ??.

#9 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

when replying, before you hit Post, hit More Reply Options, there you'll see the attachment section.

You won't regret it.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

The following is a direct quote from Answers Microsoft.

The next time you turn on your computer, Windows refers to these files to help speed the start process. The prefetch folder is a subfolder of the Windows system folder. The prefetch folder is self-maintaining, and there's no need to delete it or empty its contents.

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2017 - 03:12 PM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:09 AM

Dropbear - Many thanks for the 'attachment' info. - fully noted !!. A pic. can often explain things more directly than words - as per the old saying. I understand that the Prefetch folder is self maintaining,but i've found out over time,that the more full it gets prior to self-deleting,my PC gets a tad slower - although i'd have maybe expected the opposite ?.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens Click on File which is in the upper left portion of the screen, then click on Publish Snapshot.

In the following screen click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users