Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dvd drive problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 summerstormv

summerstormv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:42 AM

Hi I am trying to help fix my mother's computer but it has some really weird issues. The dvd drive can play movies and cds but will not even have a play option on a windows 7 disk or the computer restore disks. Is it a virus and is there anyway to make it run the restore disks? Thanks.

I should add a little more to the problem. It started with windows suddenly starting a 91 item windows update and then rebooting and downloading another 43 item update then it rebooted and came up black screen with just a blinking cursor so we fixed the boot files and reinstalled windows which got it started again. Now computer freezes up randomly, deletes windows update files and malwarebytes and similar programs, runs in high gear almost constantly, won't load msn games and plays cds and movies but not any repair or reboot disks. I'm at a loss personally. Thinking its a virus. But we've scanned with malware bytes and malware bytes anti rootkit, antivirus ran a few scans like sfc/scannow and all but all coming up empty.

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2017 - 03:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

To boot from a bootable disc you need to change the boot order in the BIOS.  Since you are using the DVD drive you will need to make this the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd the second device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users