Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-partitioning

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Win7wiz

Win7wiz

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

I'm not really a Win7 Wiz.

I think I know why i haven't been able to install certain programs. C  has too little empty space left.  I use Easeus Partition Master, but so seldom, usually only once per computer,  that I haven't figured it out yet.

Now drive C is             39 GB

Drive D (data) is  193 GB

I want to make C 60 GB, taking some from D,  which will be roughly 90 GB, but I'm not doing it right. C can't move any farther to the right, so instead I tried resizing D first.  Easeus insists on putting the freed-up space into Unallocated Space.  Rather than playing with it, i went to their tutorials, which are made of blurry screenshots. I'm reading the tutorial right now and i don't understand it.

Edited by hamluis, 04 August 2017 - 06:49 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:48 AM

I just went through this drill last week with Partition Master and I had not used it in a while so I encountered the same situation :).

First...download/install the current/updated version of PM.  Then open it.

Step One:  Resize D:, the unallocated space will automatically be reflected on the right.  But you can then move where it goes by telling PM that you want no unallocated after the new partition size...while you want the unallocated before the resized partition.  You do this by filling in the appropriate boxes, manually moving the buttons.

Step Two:  Apply those actions.

Once the unallocated is to the right of the C: partition...you just merge the two, indicating that there is no unallocated before or after the new C:.

Louis

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

+1 Hamlius very thorough advice.

I add only one tidbit which may or may not apply to you.  If there is data in the area of partition D that is going to become a part of partition C, allow your partition manager plenty of time to "move" the data from the new C to the new D.  The reason I mention this:  I used Acronis Disk Director to do something very similarly, and it took much time to move the data as mentioned.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 August 2017 - 04:49 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

+1 Hamlius very thorough advice.

I add only one tidbit which may or may not apply to you.  If there is data in the area of partition D that is going to become a part of partition C, allow your partition manager plenty of time to "move" the data from the new C to the new D.  The reason I mention this:  I used Acronis Disk Director to do something very similarly, and it took much time to move the data as mentioned.

How would I know if there's data there? Or is that unnecessary because PM knows?

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

Left click the D; Drive, and explore/open it, or, see the amount of used/free space by left clicking> properties of the D partition..?

It's going to be difficult reclaiming some space from D if it is also stuffed full of applications/games, etc.....

If things on D can be backed up/stored elsewhere, and games/apps on D can be reinstalled, I'd just uninstall the stuff currently residing on D, then delete D altogether in Disk/storage management, then expand C to take the remaining space...; reinstall what used to reside on D on the new larger C: and done....

(you can make an Image of entire drive beforehand of entire drive, both C and D partitions, with Acronis, Clonezilla, Macrium, AOMEI Backupper etc., before getting started, in case something goes wrong....which sure happens...sometimes. And it will absolutely happen if you can't risk it happening)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:29 PM

"...How would I know if there's data there? Or is that unnecessary because PM knows?"  No worries, your partition utility will move whatever is found.  MDD1963's idea of one giant C is an idea followed by many - from beginners to experts.  I simply follow a different drummer and have an OS C partition and a Data D partition of equal sizes, an idea followed by many others, from beginners to experts.  It's simply a matter of choice.  Just remember, there are some good and so-so backup and restore consequences to either idea.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:11 AM

Error, we cross-posted.

MDD1963

D is only Data, and barely filled. I think it's about 50 GB on a partition of almost 200 GB. And it's already backed up in a few places.

Edited by Win7wiz, 05 August 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#8 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:26 AM

Luis, I went through your instructions.

I made 21GB of unallocated space after C (before D)

I selected that and the old C, and clicked Merge Partitions,

but then the unallocated space is no longer on the list. It shows me only C and D,  didn't see Unallocated as a partition.

I made Unallocated a partition called E, and it's Logical.

I told it to merge C+E

It checked the file system and said "Error. Find some partition errors. Continue this operation might cause boot failure and data loss. Are you sure to proceed?" (Yes, that was the wording, someone not too familiar with English!)

Do I have to make E "Primary" to proceed?

I'll have to go back to this Saturday night because I need my computer for work.

Edited by Win7wiz, 05 August 2017 - 01:45 AM.

#9 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:43 AM

Finally got this uploaded. Screenshot of what my goal is

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/photob32/goal.jpg

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

I would not have used the Merge function...I would merely have changed the size of C: to include the resulting Unallocated Space now between C: and D:.  That would have been the easy way.

Louis

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

"...Do I have to make E "Primary" to proceed?"   I just now noticed this.  I cannot pull up images at this moment.

If E is not the boot or the Windows OS partition -- then leave E as logical, don't mark it Active, don't mark it Primary.  When you merged C & E earlier, what is the drive letter now assigned to that merged partition? I ask because I cannot pull up images at the moment.

Edited by RolandJS, 05 August 2017 - 04:16 PM.

#12 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

Louis--

you said "merge."  I did nothing because of the error message and because it was 3 AM..

Just now resized D, then C, and it's perfect now.   I'm accustomed to XP. I can't believe the size of the Windows folder in Win 7, 22 GB after cleaning out junk!

RolandJS--

I didn't merge them because of the error message.

Thanks to all of you. :-D

Edited by Win7wiz, 05 August 2017 - 04:47 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

I would avoid using any merge function like the plague. Best to resize and move partitions and even better if doing it outside of Windows.

#14 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

That worked just fine. :bounce:

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

I would avoid using any merge function like the plague. Best to resize and move partitions and even better if doing it outside of Windows.

JohnC, would you mind starting a separate thread so that we can discuss your idea much more in detail?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users