Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EncoMan

EncoMan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:23 PM

XP Pro_SP3

Several months ago my Pioneer CD/DVD burner vanished from XP.  I tried at least two dozen recommended
XP fixes.  Nothing worked.  It was tested on another Windows and Linux box.  No problems.

Fortunately, the desktop motherboard had a couple of empty expansion slots.  I purchased an inexpensive
SATA controller card, exclusively for the Pioneer burner.  That fixed the problem with XP.

Here is the new problem:

1. When the Pioneer drive vanished from XP, it was listed normally on the Boot Menu.  Any bootable CD
spun-up if selected from the Boot Menu.

2.  Switching the Pioneer drive from the motherboard to the controller card fixed the problem with XP.  It's
still listed normally on the Boot Menu, but it fails to spin-up bootable CD's.

The controller card has a dedicated BIOS setup, but all the settings (RAID) don't apply to my optical drive.
Instead of using the Boot Menu, I tried changing the boot order in the motherboard BIOS setup.  Didn't work.

It seems like I can boot from a CD without the controller card, but the optical drive will not be listed in XP.
With the controller card XP recognizes the Pioneer drive, but bootable CD's fail to spin-up.  

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Edited by EncoMan, 03 August 2017 - 11:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Delete optical drive controllers from Device manager, and reboot, then Windows should reinstall them.

#3 EncoMan

EncoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:12 PM

As I stated in my post, the SATA controller card resolved all problems with XP and my optical drive.

There is no reason to delete items from Device Manager.

Before Windows starts you press an "F" key to access the main BIOS setup or the Boot Menu.  The
controller card fixed the problem with XP and created a BIOS problem.  My optical drive will no longer
spin-up when I select "Pioneer" from the Boot Menu.

Edited by EncoMan, 04 August 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:05 AM

Booting from device connected to add-in card is often problematic, I suspect that BIOS does not correctly support booting from add-in card.

As your drive works on different machines without add-in card, problem is probably XP itself. So without add-in card, Reinstalling XP often resolves issues and also deleting those drive controllers may be solution.

For booting problem, there's probably not much that can be done unless there is BIOS update or BIOS has some settings for booting from add-in card.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,105 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

My experience with controller cards...both the card BIOS and the system/MB BIOS must be adjusted to boot from the controller card, following card manufacturer's instructions.

Attaching any device drive to the controller card puts that device on the card BIOS, but not on the system BIOS.  Attaching any device to the MB puts that device on the system BIOS.

Attaching the optical drive to the card BIOS...removes it from the system boot order.  It is reflected on the card BIOS.  If you want to boot from it, as opposed to the hard drive also reflected on the card BIOS...I believe you would have to first adjust the card BIOS to reflect it as the first boot device.  The simple solution should be to simply reconnect the optical drive to the MB.

It doesn't make sense that your system BIOS cannot see the optical drive...yet is able to boot the card...they both rely on the system BIOS properly recognizing devices attached.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2017 - 11:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users