Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 permissions problem

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 PetarSickey

PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

I installed an application today.  I did not run the install program as "Run as administrator" because I am logged in under an administrator account and therefore should not have to worry.  I then went to run the application, and it won't let me run it.  I have even set up a 2nd administrator account in anticipation of some Microsoft troubles.  I also cannot uninstall the application.  I want to uninstall it because I want to do some sort of Run as Administrator and reinstall.  I notice that permissions are a constant problem lately with Windows 10.

Is there any registry trick or some sort of Account administration trick that can get me to either 1) run the application or 2) uninstall it and reinstall it so I can run it.

I also noticed that when I installed the file to the CD and transferred it from another computer, it hung up and the CD spun very fast.  But I decided to install it to the new computer and it installed fine.  But perhaps it was not a perfect CRC check?  Whatever the problem, I need some ideas what I can do.  I cannot believe how many problems I have with installing and running software.  I thought the whole idea of an admin account was to make things easy.  All it's doing is crippling my computer.

I also don't see my user account(s) under permissions.

Edited by PetarSickey, 03 August 2017 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

When I navigate to the applications directory, and try to run the uninstall.exe, I get the above error.  I have the right permissions.

If I run the command prompt As Administrator and try to uninstall, I get "Access is denied".

Edited by PetarSickey, 03 August 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

Can you uninstall in Safe Mode?

#4 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

I decided to use brute force.  The computer is letting me delete it - it's now completely deleted.  I just have to make sure I can access the add/remove list and edit that manually.

Any help there would be appreciated.  I will do that later this evening but at least the app's files are gone.  Now, that said, I forgot about the registry.  I'll have to look into that next.

When I say brute force, I meant to say that I simply highlighted the folder with the umpteen files, and then clicked delete, and it deleted them.

#5 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

I have now removed it from the Program's list - it said, "there was a problem, ..., would you like to remove it ..." and I removed it.  So I am downloading a new file.  I will then reboot, actually, I'll reboot first, then download the file, theninstall it again.

#6 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

I have reinstalled the offending application, and I did the install as a Run As Administrator for whatever good it would do.

I still cannot run the application.  Same error as before.

1) Can someone explain why these things happen to begin with?

2) I have another Windows 10 machine where the application runs - it has Administrators - Full Control, Inherited from C:\, likewise for System.  On the laptop where it doesn't run, it has Administrators - Full Control, Inherited from None, and System Special, Inherited from None.  

Any ideas appreciated.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

I assume you are using Win 64bit. What is the application? Is it possible your Security program is not allowing the install? In my previous post you uninstalled the program but have you tried to install in Safe Mode?

#8 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

Any ideas appreciated.

Maybe You want to tell what app it is, what Windows You have, what computer you have, and perhaps something else that would help understand the problem. So far, we only know that is Windows 10 and one unknown app that can not be launched and some more weird things like gray text etc. That is all. But that's not enough to figure out what the problem really is.

#9 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Can someone please explain why the permissions are getting TAMPERED with?  Please explain what is causing the problem - please!  Why doesn't every single solitary application that we install just run properly.  WHO is tampering with the permissions and crippling the application - THAT is the question that I have.  Who?

#10 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

I don't want to boot my computer into safe mode, nor should anyone ever have to do it.  I guess it could be antivirus software - so I'll try to delete it all now. 

#11 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

I am currently removing McAfee Live safe.

#12 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

Why did I have Deny as a listed security properties setting - why did it just appear on the app's folder?  And why doesn't the application run when I elevate the permissions to allow everything for the logged in user?  I want to understand how a computer works.  I don't want to boot up in safe mode.  It's not supposed to work that way.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

I would post in the Am I Infected or Virus Removal Forum after reading the pinned posts if uninstalling your Security Software doesn't solve the problem.

#14 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

Why did I have Deny as a listed security properties setting - why did it just appear on the app's folder?  And why doesn't the application run when I elevate the permissions to allow everything for the logged in user?  

I want to understand how a computer works.  I don't want to boot up in safe mode.  It's not supposed to work that way.

If that works so as You just said, it is clear. You are a regular user, not an administrator, as you said earlier. And of course, the administrator can restrict certain transactions to ordinary users.
Contact the computer owner or authorized administrator for this matter.
Perhaps the administrator will explain to you why you have not gotten these rights and authority.
You must have administrator rights to run these application, that is the reason, what You're looking for.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:36 AM

You are a regular user, not an administrator, as you said earlier.

I did not run the install program as "Run as administrator" because I am logged in under an administrator account and therefore should not have to worry.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users