Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why netstat -nb displays ips from browser under other process after closing it?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 3dholly-windows

3dholly-windows

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

I have concerns about how "windows" manages network connections.

When I closed opera in the past I ended up having the ips that had a connection established with the browser switched over to like mdnsresponder or System process in windows 7 even over to hexchat.exe which is an irc chat program check attachment! [System.jpg]. I don't know but to me that's a security flaw like if hexchat is going to receive data from those ips that had my data including my passwords and bank numbers?.

also while doing this post I checked my netstat command again and saw chrome owning the connections going from my pc to my epson printer and hp printers as shown on the attachment and that was while Chrome was open. HP Printer has 10.0.0.164 and Epson printer has ip of 10.0.0.51 both with public ips interacting, probably spying my print jobs back to google which I tracert and both have a last response from a msn.net domain then the command goes timed out for the next few hops. check attachment. [untitled2.jpg]

Why is chrome or browsers or irc chat programs wanting to connect to my printers and other public ips when I'm not printing? that's a system process job!.
------ip interactions that were related obtained from netstat----------------
10.0.0.51:80 [EPSON printer]
40.77.16.143:443 [[tracert ends up in request time out]
AND
10.0.0.164:3910 [HP printer]
40.118.214.164:443 [tracert ends up in request time out]

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

One possibile cause for this is the default settings in Chrome. Unless you change one of them Chrome carries on running services in the background even after you have closed it.

Click on the three dots in the top right corner and select 'Settings' then scroll fully down to the bottom of the basic page. There you will see a button 'Advanced'. Click on this and another page will open. Again scroll down to nearly the bottom and you will come cross a box called 'System'. In this the first item is marked as -

"Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed." The default for this control is 'On'.

Switch this 'Off' and see if it solves your problem. If nothing else it will save you some RAM.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 August 2017 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users