Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inetcntrl Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sprinks

Sprinks

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:23 PM

My operating system is Windows XP. My son while downloading something that looked fun said that a black window appeared during the download (like a dos window). At first all the desktop icons and the task bar were gone from everyones personal window and the computer was very slow loading. I later found that the icons and the task bar were there, just very slow to appear (minutes). I ran several adware and virus checks and deleted them, since then the computers speed seems to have returned to normal but I get the following error: InetCntrl - Windows sockets initialization failed. We can not access the internet so I am sending this plea for help from my office computer. If I cannot access the internet, I suppose any information programs will have to be copied to disk and loaded the old fashion way.

Thanks in advance for anyones help regarding this matter,
Gratefully,
Sprinks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:55 PM

Sprinks , a quick google of "InetCntrl" suggests it may belong to a programme called Bsafe Online which i believe is some kind of Internet filter application.

Do you use this ?
I don't know anything about it , but if you do use it i presume it could block your Internet access if it was faulty.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

My son while downloading something that looked fun

It would help to know what he downloaded and what you did with the parental control software from bsafeonline to undo what he did.

In any case,

If this event was recent (within the last 3 weeks), and you know the date the problem first began:

Use Windows System Restore to revert your system state to a previously operable condition.

To do so:

Click Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Choose a haighlighted date from before the problem began, follow on-screen directions.

System Restore will not affect your data but if you have done any Windows Updates since the date on the restore point you will have to redo them.

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 September 2006 - 04:12 PM.

#4 Sprinks

Sprinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

I should have Googled! Yes, I use Bsafe to protect my computer, I'll call them and see what they can tell me. Thanks so much for the speedy reply. I'll post my results this weekend!

Blessings to you all!
Sprinks

#5 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:08 PM

I'll post my results this weekend!

Please do.

As Enthusiast has suggested , a system restore is a good option to recover the situation but if that isn't successful / possible , and you wanted conformation that the problem is down to Bsafe Online , then I'm wondering if you can disable the programme to see if you can get a connection. If you are using the security suite ( with the firewall ) then obviously you wouldn't want to attempt to go online unprotected , so you could use the windows firewall for the short period needed to test your connection.

I hope it is the Bsafe Online app that is the problem , but there's a little bit of me left wondering whether you've picked up an infection that has done some damage or / and , is preventing an Internet connection.

#6 Sprinks

Sprinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:17 AM

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted an update. I'm spending time with my ISP tonight to try to get reconnected to the internet. Ruled out the modem and the socket issues seem to be a software issue. No luck on the system restore, but thanks for the suggestion. I promise to give a full and hopefully final report on this issue this week.

Thanks again for all your support,
Sprinks

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:30 AM

Try rebooting the entire connection:

Shutdown the computer. Unplug the ethernet wire.

Disconnect the power and cable to the dsl or cable modem and the ethernet or usb wire from the modem to the computer.

The same for the router (if you use one)

Wait a few minutes and then reconnect the input and output cables to the modem, reconnect the input and output cables on the router (if you have one) and connect the ethernet or usb cable to the computer.

Power the modem first, then the router, and then reboot the computer.

#8 Sprinks

Sprinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

Time is precious! Spent a long time with the ISP several weeks ago and they were able to restore my internet connection. Seem's whatever spyware or other bug I had picked up did a job on my connection. They were able to talk me through several layers of programming and now life is good again. Thanks to all of you for your attention and advice. I'll be supporting you in the future.
Blessings,
Sprinks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users