Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Being Slow for Seemingly no Reason

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Keknicide

Keknicide

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

On the 31st of July, I noticed my computer was running really slow. I deleted some useless files and defragmented my disk overnight, but to my dismay my computer was even worse! I've done a ton of stuff but it only got slower. After uninstalling some of the programs I installed that day, it got noticeably better, but it still doesn't run at half the speed it used to. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be getting worse anymore. 

I'm using a dell laptop running windows 10, and I've had the laptop for a little over a year. (I don't know the system specs b/c I can't bleep bother to deal with the slow bullbleep)

List of things I've done:
Virus scan- Multiple scans of my entire system from several different antivirus programs, and nothing was reported
Cut down on multitasking(still slow with only chrome/firefox/literally anything (Like it lagged out playing Downwell!!!))
Delete useless files
Defrag hard drive
Cutting down on bootup programs
Uninstalling old programs
Used both windows disk cleaner and CCleaner
Windows updates
Restart(god knows I've done that a million times)
Performance report
Turn off background apps
Disable VFX
Close resource hungry programs
Close system tray programs
Turn battery settings to max performance

Things I haven't done:
Switch to an SSD
Add RAM
Go see a professional
Reinstall of OS
Cleaning laptop's internals

I have the advanced view of task manager up right now, and CPU is at 12% usage, memory is at 50 and disk is at 1. I'm losing my mind here. This is a laptop I'm supposed to be using for school (which starts in less than 2 weeks) and the screen is already bleeped up. I don't want to cause my parents any more trouble, so that's why I haven't done most of the things above. If you guys can't find something that works, just something on reinstalling my OS or places to pay special attention to/places to avoid when cleaning would make all the difference.

This is a side note, but in task manager, on memory page under performance says it only has 2 gigs available and it's using only one slot out of two, but on the far left it says it's using 1.9 gigs out of 3.9. Not only that, the highest percentage of memory usage is only 5.8%! There are less than a dozen programs above 1%. This might be the issue, but just in case it wasn't, I decided to keep the rest.

Also: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EF7txXnpp4UOp8mAThKTgoz

Edited by Keknicide, 03 August 2017 - 05:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

Your problems could be caused by a number of things. To help see what might be happening please download Speccy. https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download . This will help us see hardware, temps, and other things that may help find your problem. Please follow the below instructions to post the URL of the report here.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

#3 Keknicide

Keknicide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

Finally got it to work:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EF7txXnpp4UOp8mAThKTgoz

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

I did see a couple things that could be slowing your computer down. The physical memory usage was at 48%. Please click Alt ctrl and delete keys at the same time then click task manager. click more details. In the memory column, scroll down and see what programs are using a lot of memory. You can make a screenshot by clicking the Windows key and prnt scrn key. It should send a screenshot to your Pictures Folder. You can upload the pic here.

The other thing I noticed is that partitions 2 and 3 are at or past the limits for free space. Partition 2 has 10% left which is the very least free space recommended. Partition 3 has 6% free space left. I'd suggesting picking up another hard drive and moving some of the files to it.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:22 PM

Please post a disk management screenshot of your hard drive.

The 500MB partition 0 should be System Reserved.

The 452GB partition 1 is for the OS which we know.

The 449MB partition 2 might be recorded as Healthy Recovery partition and only 10% available isn't unusual that I'm aware of.

--- But we need to see what it is identified as.

On the 12.5GB partition 3, we need to see what it is recorded as. It might not be unusual that it's only 6% free.

Please do not make any changes on any of the partitions until we can actually see the Disk Management screenshot.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:42 PM

Java is out of date: Version: 8.0 Update: 121 Build: 13
I believe it should be Version 8.0 Update 141 Build 15

#7 Keknicide

Keknicide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:11 AM

I did see a couple things that could be slowing your computer down. The physical memory usage was at 48%. Please click Alt ctrl and delete keys at the same time then click task manager. click more details. In the memory column, scroll down and see what programs are using a lot of memory. You can make a screenshot by clicking the Windows key and prnt scrn key. It should send a screenshot to your Pictures Folder. You can upload the pic here.

The other thing I noticed is that partitions 2 and 3 are at or past the limits for free space. Partition 2 has 10% left which is the very least free space recommended. Partition 3 has 6% free space left. I'd suggesting picking up another hard drive and moving some of the files to it.

The image posting wasn't working for some reason, so here's an imgur link: http://imgur.com/a/5oiPw

I also don't know what the second part means, but I have 185 gigs free out of 452, so I don't know why I'd need a new hard drive

Please post a disk management screenshot of your hard drive.

The 500MB partition 0 should be System Reserved.

The 452GB partition 1 is for the OS which we know.

The 449MB partition 2 might be recorded as Healthy Recovery partition and only 10% available isn't unusual that I'm aware of.

--- But we need to see what it is identified as.

On the 12.5GB partition 3, we need to see what it is recorded as. It might not be unusual that it's only 6% free.

Please do not make any changes on any of the partitions until we can actually see the Disk Management screenshot.

I didn't know what any of that meant. so here you go: http://imgur.com/a/DwUQg

Java is out of date: Version: 8.0 Update: 121 Build: 13
I believe it should be Version 8.0 Update 141 Build 15

Is that necessary? I mean it would be so annoying because of the speed of my computer

Edited by Keknicide, 04 August 2017 - 03:23 AM.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

The disk management looks fine.

On Java, if you use it, keep it up to date.

If you don't use it, uninstall it.

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

The image posting wasn't working for some reason, so here's an imgur link: http://imgur.com/a/5oiPw

What I need you to do here is scroll down and see what programs are using a lot of Memory and take a screen shot of them. It may take more than one screenshot.

I also don't know what the second part means, but I have 185 gigs free out of 452, so I don't know why I'd need a new hard drive

You can disregard that. The Disk Management shot cleared that up for me. As far as Java, as cmptrgy said if you don't use java you should uninstall it because it's very insecure and used by viruses. A lot of people really have no need for it. If you find you do you can always reinstall it. :)

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

Why is your antivirus disabled and how long has it been this way?  One of the things which could slow your computer to a crawl would be an infection.  Depending on you browsing habits it is very possible for this to occur when you have your antivirus disabled.

To rule out this possibility please run the following scan and post the logs in your topic.  The tools used for these scans cannot be run in the Windows Forums, for this reason a Moderator will move this topic to the Am I Infected forum.  If the scans don't find any malware the topic can be reopened in the original forum by a Moderator.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open, click on Update Now to update to the newest definitions.

3)  Click on Settings, when Settings opens click on Detection and Protection, then under Non-Malware Protection, click on the down arrow for PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) detections and select Treat detections as malware.  Under Detection Options place a check in the box for Scan for rootkits

4)  Click on Scan (next to Settings), then click on Scan Now.  The scan will automatically run now.

5)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Delete All.

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find the Malwarebytes log do the following.  Copy and paste the log in your topic.

*Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
*Click the Scan Tab at the top.
*Click the View detailed log link on the right.
*Click Copy to Clipboard at the bottom...come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
*Alternatively, you can click Export and save the log as a .txt file on yout Desktop or another location.
*Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.

If there are no malicious programs are found you will receive a message informing you of this.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to allow this to run
till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need
to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

ESET Online Scanner

• Click here to download the installer for ESET Online Scanner and save it to your Desktop.
  • Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that
    here
  • Right click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • If threats are found click on Save to text file in Documents.
  • Open Documents, find the report, copy and paste it in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 04 August 2017 - 10:04 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Keknicide

Keknicide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

What I need you to do here is scroll down and see what programs are using a lot of Memory and take a screen shot of them. It may take more than one screenshot.

I organized it by programs that use the most memory. I've been posting to a couple forums, so I'm not sure if I said it here, but it seems like the memory usage is abnormally high

You can disregard that. The Disk Management shot cleared that up for me. As far as Java, as cmptrgy said if you don't use java you should uninstall it because it's very insecure and used by viruses. A lot of people really have no need for it. If you find you do you can always reinstall it. :)

Ok, I'll update

Why is your antivirus disabled and how long has it been this way?  One of the things which could slow your computer to a crawl would be an infection.  Depending on you browsing habits it is very possible for this to occur when you have your antivirus disabled.

To rule out this possibility please run the following scan and post the logs in your topic.  The tools used for these scans cannot be run in the Windows Forums, for this reason a Moderator will move this topic to the Am I Infected forum.  If the scans don't find any malware the topic can be reopened in the original forum by a Moderator.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open, click on Update Now to update to the newest definitions.

3)  Click on Settings, when Settings opens click on Detection and Protection, then under Non-Malware Protection, click on the down arrow for PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) detections and select Treat detections as malware.  Under Detection Options place a check in the box for Scan for rootkits

4)  Click on Scan (next to Settings), then click on Scan Now.  The scan will automatically run now.

5)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Delete All.

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find the Malwarebytes log do the following.  Copy and paste the log in your topic.

*Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
*Click the Scan Tab at the top.
*Click the View detailed log link on the right.
*Click Copy to Clipboard at the bottom...come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
*Alternatively, you can click Export and save the log as a .txt file on yout Desktop or another location.
*Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.

If there are no malicious programs are found you will receive a message informing you of this.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to allow this to run
till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need
to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

ESET Online Scanner

• Click here to download the installer for ESET Online Scanner and save it to your Desktop.
  • Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that
    here
  • Right click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • If threats are found click on Save to text file in Documents.
  • Open Documents, find the report, copy and paste it in your topic.

I only disabled it to see if it was what was slowing down my computer, as it used a lot of resources, and it's already back up.

I'm starting the rest right now

Edited by Keknicide, 04 August 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#12 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

On the Speccy report I saw several McAfee processes running. McAfee is a known resource hog. Please try disabling them and see if you get any relief.

#13 Keknicide

Keknicide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

On the Speccy report I saw several McAfee processes running. McAfee is a known resource hog. Please try disabling them and see if you get any relief.

I finished running the MalwareBytes scan, and it seemed to speed up my computer dramatically. I haven't tried anything too extensive yet, but it seems to be working fine. McAfee is already disabled.

Do you still recommend I do the AdwCleaner and ESET scans? (and the Malwarebytes log?)

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

Please run the rest of the requested scans and post the logs in your topic.  I need to see these logs so I can determine if malware is the cause or contributing to your problem/s.

I would suggest uninstalling McAfee in the Control Panel under Programs and Features, then use the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool to remove any remaining remnants.  You can find complete specific instructions to remove McAfee from Windows 10 and the download for the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool which you will need to remove all aspects of McAfee.  There are separate instruction for removing McAfee from a computer which had this installed by the computer's manufacturer and for McAfee installed from a download.  Once you remove McAfee you can use the Windows Defender.  

You may need to enable Windows Defender after uninstalling McAfee.  To do this go to the Start menu and select Settings, this has the icon that resembles a gear.

When Settings opens select Update & Security, then Windows Defender, then click/tap on Turn on Windows Defender Antivirus.

Since McAfee is a paid program you may wish to use it at least until it expires.  Or if you are satisfied with the Windows Defender you can continue to use it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

I agree you should follow DC3's instructions but I'd like to mention that according to your Speccy report you also have Avast antispyware running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users