Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spam Guard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tiny1950

tiny1950

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:15 PM

We have AVG installed at the office and since Monday my emails are blocked and I'm sent a message from Spam Guard that they have been blocked as spam.
I haven't installed any programs so where does this come from and how do I get rid of it?

It's for incoming emails only. We have a normal home pc as it is a small company. My boss uninstalled AVG yesterday thinking that might be the problem, but today my emails were blocked again. It's emails from regular customers which I didn't have a problem with in the past.
Hope someone can help!

We also have no Spyware programs installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:24 AM

There seems to be several vendors with a similar product name. Even YaHoo has a Spam Guard feature. Are you talking about Spam Guard from DefendGate or Higher Level Systems or something else? Since this is an office computer could someone else have instead this without your knowledge?

We also have no Spyware programs installed.

Not good. There are numerous anti-spyware programs available for free.

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources.
See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

To the best of my knowledge, AVGfree does not have anti-spam functionality, so AVG is not the source. I would suspect either another application that was installed that you do not know about, or a change in ISP defaults would be the more likely cause.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Network-Inte...Spam-Guard.html
Spam Guard is an Outlook add-in that filters e-mail that arrives in your inbox. If the sender of any message cannot be identified then the message is moved into a spam quarantine folder. Messages deposited in the spam quarantine folder can be inspected and either deleted or approved at your leisure. The add-in works with Outlook 2000 and Outlook XP but does not work with Outlook Express.

If this is the Spam Guard you are using you should be able to find it either in Add/Remove, Outlook folder or do a search for it.
Click on "Start" then "Settings" then "Control Panel" and then click on "Add/Remove Programs". Select "Spam Guard" from the list and click on "Remove". This will uninstall Spam Guard from your machine.

Edited by buddy215, 15 September 2006 - 11:31 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 tiny1950

tiny1950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:00 PM

Buddy, I checked the programs list and there's nothing there to uninstall. I use Outlook Express. I'm the only using the pc so nobody could've installed it.
It has gateway plus something else in their contact address but when I email them it just bounces back.
Any other suggestions?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

If you have done a search for it and can't find a reference anywhere, it could very well be your ISP spam filter. Especially if no one in the office installed the program. If your ISP does not use this program, I would do some scans with antimalware programs such as Ewido and Kaspersky, also any programs you have already installed and updated.

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Run Ewido in safe mode.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 tiny1950

tiny1950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Buddy - I will try this on Monday.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

There was one antispam product that does not install any software on your computer that goes by that name.
The site said they held the email for 3 days before deleting it.

http://www.firewalls.com/PRoductcart/pc/vi...p;idproduct=235

Edited by buddy215, 15 September 2006 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users