Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get bios updated EVGA

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thyuu

Thyuu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:35 PM

Bought a EVGA x58 3x SLI motherboard 132-BL-E758 off eBay and wanted to use my (fully working) x5660 cpu but ran into microkernel problems.

So I plopped in an older cpu and it works great with everything but I want my x5660 to work

(Think i need latest bios) so I went on the evga site, followed their instructions and got a a Bootable flash and DVD bios media.

Everything goes well except for one thing, when It goes to the install screen it asks me to "select install file" and when I hit enter nothing happens.

I have tried older bioses, different disks, USB drives, clear cmos (100's of times), factory default in bios, removing the battery, letting the screen sit there ect.

It should just update without you doing anything but that does not work and everything is working other than it (ram, psu, cpu, etc.) Any ideas? Anything would help at this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

From my understanding you need to burnt the iso file to a DVD, boot the DVD and it should automatically load the BIOS firmware. How did you burn the iso to DVD? This can be done on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image.

See this EVGA thread for creating a USB with the .bin file

https://forums.evga.com/How-To-Flash-Your-Bios-From-USB-Made-Easy-remade-m15265.aspx

Warning, a bad flash can brick your computer. I believe it would be safer using the DVD method. You may get a better response by posting in the EVGA forums if trying another DVD burn does not work.

#3 Thyuu

Thyuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

I burned it with the latest version of freeisoburner and also the built in win 10 burner. I have also made USB drives that boot and work the same as the dad's but have the same problem.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

I think this would work but you should confirm it with EVGA. Warning. This could brick the computer.

Use 7 zip to extract the iso file. There will be a Boot folder and in that folder will be a file with an img extension. Use 7zip to extract the image file. There will be 5 files including your .bin file. Open the autoexec.bat file and copy the command to a piece of paper as you will need it later.

Create a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus. Download and copy to your desktop, not the flash drive. Run the program with the USB flash drive attached. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see iso image in a dropdown box select FreeDos. Press Start. 

Once the USB flash drive has finished copy the bin file, AWDflash.exe, and CWSDPMI.EXE to the flash drive. FreeDos takes the place of the command.com file. You do not need it. I am not sure what CWSDPMI.exe is for but put it on the USB flash drive. Boot the flash drive. You will have a command prompt window with an A:\ prompt. Type B:\. <enter>. This will change the prompt to B:\. Type DIR <enter>. Do you see your three files? If not then try another letter like D:\. 

When you see your files type the command you copied from the Autoexec.bat file. For instance, this is an example of what you would type.

awdflash E75883.BIN /sn /cc /cd /wb /py

Substitute your bin file for the above. Make sure you set your BIOS to default before the flash if you are overclocking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users