Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 freezes at the end of the boot animation (GPU related)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oblivioncth

oblivioncth

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hey guys,

So I have something quite weird going on that is pretty annoying and just wanted to see if anyone happened to have an idea I haven't thought of. The TL;DR of this is that I either have an unfortunate hardware issue with my 16x PCI-e slot or one of the most bizarre driver issues I've ever dealt with. My specs are available on my profile page.

I recently got an 850 EVO, 6TB Hard Drive, two monitors, and a 1080 Ti, all of which I just installed two days ago. What I did leading up till the issue was basically this:

1) Uninstalled my current Nvidia drivers just to be safe, planning to do an install of the latest drivers after putting in the new card, even though they should be the same (coming from a 770), then removed the old card and temporarily switched to the on-board HDMI port (integrated graphics).

2) I borrowed the SATA connection from my Blu-ray drive to use on the 850 EVO and used Macrium Reflect to clone my previous Intel 520 RAID 0 array to the 850 EVO.

3) Removed the two Intel 520s, permanently installed the 850 EVO and the hard drive, and then set my SATA mode from RAID to ACHI since I no longer had any RAID arrays.

4) Confirmed that the machine booted up fine and that the OS started alright on the new drive.

5) Shutdown, installed the 1080 Ti, put the side panel back on, hooked up the monitors, etc.

This is where the trouble started. I initially thought it had something to do with the drive clone and was second guessing myself that I even made sure it booted OK after so I did the typical boot troubleshooting in the Windows Recovery console, but ended up undoing it all because I realized it was not the issue so all that should be able to be ignored. Additionally, the symptoms are somewhat inconsistent which makes this very annoying. 

So, the immediate issue was that my computer wouldn't get past the Windows 10 boot animation. It seems like a display only issue as the drive activity light still appears normal and I still hear the small pop of my speakers that usually happens right before the login screen appears so I believe that the OS is still running (though since I don't have the startup sound enabled I can't be sure). Regardless, what happens is that the display (or perhaps the entire computer) will freeze with the new windows logo and the dots circling right before the transition to the login screen. After rebooting a time or two to make sure it wasn't a fluke I tried booting into safe mode which worked and still works consistently. Then I checked the control panel to make sure the old drivers were gone, which they were (other than the crap that is always left behind, registry entries, etc.). I then downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and checked off the "Clean Install" option to make sure everything from before was taken care of. After the install I rebooted. This time the screen did not freeze, but rather when the animation finished I simply got "No Signal" on both monitors and they turned off.

Both of these issues (the freezing and screens turning off) are usually tell tale signs of a graphics driver issue so I rebooted into safe mode and uninstalled the drivers using the device manager (though I did not check "Also delete drivers from the system"), hoping I could work from there. Note that I didn't touch the Nvidia control panel or any of the other software installed by the driver package. Upon restarting I was able to get into Windows on a normal boot and login. As expected, the resolution was not correct or anything due to the lack of drivers, but moments after logging in Windows detected that the card was "new" and installed drivers for it automatically. This fixed the resolution and for once everything seemed normal and completely working. I only used my computer a little bit for the rest of the night and then slept it. The next day I woke it up, did some monitor calibration, and then attempted to run the game. The game kept crashing before the main menu would fully load (my guess is there is an issue when it tries to render the 3D objects on the menu because it crashes before they appear). It might be an issue with the resolution settings as it is a pretty buggy game, but I figured that it might have been because I hadn't actually done a reboot since Windows installed the drivers for the card. So, I rebooted and lo and behold I got the freezing on the boot animation problem again. Then I basically repeated what I did before to make sure what I said above was correct, and it seems to be the case. It seems I can go into safe mode and uninstall the driver via the device manager, reboot normally and have Windows install the driver and then get the boot screen freeze with a 100% reproduction rate over and over. While trying various reboots and driver manipulation I also ran back into the issue of the screens turning off a time or two even though I don't think I really did anything differently.

I tried re-seating the card and cleaning out the slot but that didn't work. I also tried booting with each monitor separately (Display Port) and even my TV in the same room (HDMI). I then tried putting my old card back in since again, the drivers should work for both, and surprisingly the issue remained. The last thing I did was put the 1080 Ti back in, go into safe mode and used DDU to completely uninstall everything ("Clean and reboot") figuring I'd try some more stuff after starting on a fresh slate. This should have let me boot in normally with no drivers but the bizarre and really frustrating thing is that I still got the boot animation freeze upon rebooting. I went into safe mode just to make sure the drivers were gone and there were no remnants of them in the control panel and the device manager showed "Microsoft Generic blah blah" under display adapters instead of "Nvidia 1080 Ti". This is where I've left it for now.

For most of this process this was seeming like an incredibly stubborn driver issue, but now that I couldn't boot after using DDU I am getting worried that something is wrong with my 16x slot. I am not familiar enough with how PCI-e works to be sure though. I would imagine that if it was an issue with the slot that the card wouldn't work at all and I would get nothing on display, but I also figured it is possible that only some of the lanes have an issue that isn't apparent when in safe mode without drivers since the card is only working as a basic display adapter. However, this wouldn't explain how I was able to use the machine with the automatically installed drivers (before a reboot of course), but then again the game I tried did crash so it wasn't perfect.

Overall I still think it is a driver issue, but this has gotten pretty confusing. I am going to try the card in the 8x slot after work tonight to see if that works, but I am hoping it doesn't because that would mean the main slot is screwed.

To sum this all up:

• Installed new graphics card with drivers uninstalled (via control panel only, perhaps I should have used DDU to begin with) and had the computer freeze during the boot animation
  • Am able to unistall drivers via device manager in safe mode and get into Windows normally most of the time, have it auto-install the drivers again. Everything then seems to work other than gaming, though I haven't tested more than that one game, until the next reboot, upon which the problem returns
  • Sometimes (not randomly, depends on the current state of the driver situation) the monitors get no signal and turn off instead of the machine freezing on the boot animation
  • Tried re-seating the card
  • Tried the old card, have the same problems
  • Tried using one monitor at a time and a TV
  • Last used DDU to uninstall everything completely but I still have the same problems

I apologize that this is so lengthy but I liked to be as detailed as possible with these kind of posts instead of just "My pc crashes when I turn it on, pls halp".

Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by oblivioncth, 03 August 2017 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

For starters, do you have a spare hard drive (either SSD or HDD)?

If so, try this:

- if able, update the BIOS to the latest available version

- reset the BIOS to default values.

- temporarily install Windows 10 on it (no need to activate it)

Does the system boot/reboot normally now?

Beyond that, Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Edited by usasma, 03 August 2017 - 12:04 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

-snip-

I do have a spare drive and was considering trying this but it had slipped my mind, thanks for the suggestion I'll try that out when I'm home. I will also gather the logs you mentioned and post them here as soon as I can.

#4 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

-snip-

I forgot to mention that my boards BIOS hasn't had an update in four years now so I am definitely good on that front. I just finished testing the card in the 8x slot and had the same exact problem so it is seemingly extremely likely that it is a software fault.

To confirm this I am now going to try out a fresh windows install on a temporary drive like you suggested. In the meanwhile, here is everything useful that you mentioned before:

Speccy Snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CCy6iQL31ijGxcUJR7kywxn

SysnativeBSOD Report:

(Attached)

Event Viewer Log:

(Attached)

EDIT:

Starting too look like my PSU might be failing. The behavior is possibly getting slightly more inconsistent/bizarre. I installed a totally new OS on a seperate drive and at first had the same issue. Then I tried resetting my BIOS to default (which I hadn't done before because I didn't change anything other than the SATA mode since I put the new card in so I figured there was no reason) which let me into the new windows with the drivers installed as well as my original install. The only thing that really would have changed from the reset is my moderate overclock being removed, so it is possible it is just now starting to fail. Going to play around some more.

Attached Files

Edited by oblivioncth, 03 August 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:43 AM

If your board hasn't had a BIOS update in 4 years, are you confident that the older BIOS can support the new OS, devices and drivers that you have installed?

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

There are hundreds of DCOM errors in the Admin event log.
Here's my canned speech (but see my BUT after the quote):

Please attempt to fix your DCOM errors by doing this:

Go to Start, and then to Run (or the Win and R keys)
Type in "dcomcnfg" (without the quotes) and press Enter

In the Component Services window that opens, go to the left hand pane and double click on:
- Component Services, then on
- Computers, then on
- My Computer, then on
- DCOM Config
If it asks you to register any of the components, click Yes
This may happen several times if there are several unregistered components

Once you're finished, close the window and reboot the computer.
Check to see if the problems are fixed.
NOTE:  This is a generic "fix" for DCOM errors.  If it does not fix your problems, please post back.

BUT....This is a generic type fix for DCOM errors, but I don't expect it to do much for a new install of Windows.

I wonder if it's because of problems communicating with the hard drive - but that's just a thought I had and I have no real evidence to back it up.

You may want to try this DISM repair from an elevated Command Prompt

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

You may also want to run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from that same elevated Command Prompt

I did spot a few events pointing to drive errors on drive 4.  I have to wonder if any of the hard drives are having problems.

These events seem to happen shortly after the system reboots - so that may be a reason why it doesn't get into Windows.
Try running these free hard drive diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

You may wish to start with running Seagate Seatools for Windows, as it'll be easier to test all of the drives that way.

Another way to test is to disconnect all but the boot drive (and the Windows drive if it's separate from the boot drive).  That way you don't have to test all the drives, only the one's that are left connected.

Another thing to wonder about.....

You have 5 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?
The purpose of this question is to get you to evaluate your PSU.
- PSU's tend to get less efficient with age
- adding components over time may decrease the ability of the PSU to support the entire system (Maybe remove some stuff to see if that helps?)
- while you can measure the output of a PSU with a multimeter, the readings may change dramatically when the PSU is put under load.
- there's a free PSU test in the OCCT program at http://www.ocbase.com/

This device has problems in Device Manager (and I saw errors related to it in the Admin log file):

VMware VMCI Host Device    ROOT\VMWVMCIHOSTDEV\0000    This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.

I'd suggest uninstalling VMware temporarily.  You can leave any virtual machines on the hard drive, just remove the VMware program.
If needed, you can reinstall it as needed.

There are many Live Kernel Events in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

Most times the Live Kernel Events are associated with hardware problems - but they can also be seen with compatibility issues and low-level driver problems.

I suggest that you strip the system down to it's bare essentials and see if the test hard drive has any problems then.
You may want to have a look at this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

First off thanks for all of the investigation into this.

My board, ASUS Sabertooth Z77, is from 2012 as I am running a 3770K but compatibility wise there should be no issues. As far as I am aware the GPU is still just requires Gen 3 PCI-e and the hard drive and SSD are just SATA III drives, both of which my motherboard supports.

So, the strange thing is that everything has been running pretty smoothly since the BIOS reset, but I restored my previous overclock so it is very odd.

Drive 4 is an external USB drive that is self powered but runs behind its own firmware (WD MyBook) so it possible its just something silly with the drive fully coming online at boot and not an actual problem.

For my hard drives in general I have checked on them occasionally via S.M.A.R.T (CrystalDiskInfo specifically), and they're all fine from that stand point. I actually just replaced one that was failing not that long ago that had an increasing number of inaccessible sectors. However, I do not mind being thorough so I will gladly run the test you linked soon.

I don't believe I have ever run a "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" on this install so it isn't a bad idea just to be sure. Also, I am not familiar with DCOM errors so I will look into that and try the solution you mentioned.

The VMware issue is actually an oversight if I remember correctly that is expected "VMware" tools to be installed on the host machine while you only actually want to install them to all of the VMs. I will double check though.

In terms of my PSU, yes it is pretty old, which is why I have started to question it, and as you mentioned I have a decent amount hooked up to it. Four hard drives, as that one is external as I mentioned above, my GFX card, Blu-ray drive, 3 120mm fans, sound card, and obviously all of the essentials (24pin mobo cable, 8 pin CPU power, etc.). It is an Antec NeoPower 650 Blue and is as probably obvious is a 650W PSU. While I would be more comfortable with an 800 W on this system, given that my current CPU and GFX card actually have lower TDPs than previous builds I've had on this PSU with older, less efficient hardware I have never been concerned with it only being 650 W. However, it is getting up their in years now (man where does the time go) so I can actually see this being an issue. I am not sure exactly when I got mine but due to the fact it seems like it might predate 80 PLUS certification (or have come around right when that was picking up traction) and I see posts about it as early as 2007, it seems to be a decade old and could certainly use replacing. I have had an issue now and then where while running a lot and tabbing out of a highly demanding game to do more on the desktop the whole machine will sort of lag for a moment and even people on voice comes will become choppy. I never thought much of it as it didn't happen too often, but it is definitely possible it is a power instability issue that occurs at peak draw. I was thinking of breaking out my multi-meter but like you said the PSU by itself and under load are two different things. I will check out that PSU test you linked, seems interesting.

I am going to stick with this PSU for the moment since everything is generally working but releazing just how old it is now I am going to replace it pretty soon when I have some extra cash, probably with a 800 W.

Thanks again.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:33 AM

SMART is a predictive technology, not a diagnostic procedure.

At work we frequently see drives pass SMART, yet they fail the hard drive diagnsotics (SSD's excepted, as there's no reliable diagnostics for them).

If you suspect the PSU, try the PSU test in the OCCT program here:  http://www.ocbase.com/

Other things to try would be to disconnect the BluRay and some of the fans (and maybe even the sound card) - then see if the problem lessens

#8 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:04 AM

Sorry for not responding to this for a while. I ended replacing the power supply and did another clean install of the drivers and everything is working now. I do have a new problem that I believe is unrelated involving a dual monitor setup where each monitor has a different refresh rate that I may make a separate post about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users