Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinion.. Out or Home Run

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

This play..outfielder jumps, makes catch and comes down in field of play. Result ..an out.

This play..

Similar but after the catch player lands off field in home run territory. Called out.
My question ... I think its a Home Run..not out!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

Similar but after the catch player lands off field in home run territory. Called out.
My question ... I think its a Home Run..not out!!

i saw the replay of the one in Boston, i thought it should be a home run too,

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

Precisely.. 2 gimoogly points for a heck of a catch..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

They're Both Out Period. 

Each of the balls were caught while still inside of the fence of the playing field and as long as the balls were not dropped it doesn't matter how a player lands or where a player lands.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

I have to argue the ball was caught out of the field. Player is in air, still in yes, but lands out.. it of bounds in Football (American) no Touchdown or pick , Basketball too etc....
He needs to toss the ball back to a player in fair territory.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

I have to argue the ball was caught out of the field. Player is in air, still in yes, but lands out.. it of bounds in Football (American) no Touchdown or pick , Basketball too etc....
He needs to toss the ball back to a player in fair territory.

Doesn't matter what happens in football or basketball this is baseball.

I bet the referee / umpire called them out and that's all that matters.

They are out.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

Yes, we get this all the time in football (soccer) in the UK.

The general rule is that the referee is always right - especially when he is wrong ! I know very little about baseball but I bet there is a sentence in the rule book to the effect that 'The umpire(s) shall be the sole judge(s) of fact'.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

As I read the rules, any ball  caught on the fly is an out, on or off the field of play.  A foul ball caught on the fly is an out and it's the same anywhere on the field.

#9 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

Rules ~ Rules ~ Rules! :lmao:  

I wonder if this helps the cause:
(Pages 26/27)

© A fielder, after catching a fly ball, steps or falls

into any out-of-play area;
Rule 5.06(-b-)(3)© Comment (Rule 7.04© Comment): If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should step or fall into any out-of-play area, the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder entered such out-of play area

2017 Official Baseball Rules_2017 Official Baseball Rules 3/27/17 8:58 PM Page 26
Rule 5.06(-b-)(3) to 5.06(-b-)(4)

(All I want are peanuts and CRACKER JACK®)       

Self Edit: the parenthesis b end parenthesis ended up: (B) so I had to change it to (-b-)                                                                                          

Edited by softeyes, 03 August 2017 - 09:02 PM.

#10 nehaxavier

nehaxavier

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:38 AM

LOL! Nice Play!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users