Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall for non-profit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

I'm going to be the IT person for a small non-profit.   They have 5 employees and a small computer lab.  I plan on getting a unifi ap ac lr wireless ap.   I just don't know what firewall to purchase.  I just need something basic and inexpensive.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

I don't see any particular firewall requirements specced out, https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002262328-UniFi-Feature-Guide-Wireless-Uplink#relatedarticles .

Louis

#3 sjpritch25

sjpritch25
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

Sorry, I guess my question wasn't clear.  I was just inquiring about a good entry level hardware firewall for the non-profit.  

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

My opinion...unless there's some special desire for monitoring and fluff...the Windows firewall is adequate and inherent in Windows.

Years ago, I used/tried various firewalls by Comodo, Avast, and others...I found that no particular firewall is more effective than the other...the only variability I found was the amount of administrative pastry each exposed me to.  I'm lazy and I don't find a lot of unnecessary details or stats...don't make me feel any more secure than I experience with the Windows firewall.

Others here may have different opinions.

Louis

#5 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:46 PM

just confirming, you are after a firewall at the hardware level, in other words in the modem or router?

and not a firewall in the PC which is a software firewall.

if you really do mean a hardware firewall, you have no control over what 'type' is used.

well, apart from the brand of modem/router.

the firewall is part of the firmware, and can be slightly tweaked via the hardware's configuration menu.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#6 sjpritch25

sjpritch25
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

yes hardware level.   

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,031 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

Looking at the manufacturer webpage for the noted device, https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/, from all appearances this thing is a "glorified repeater."   It is truly a wireless access point, but has no direct connection to the internet except via either a wireless, switched, or direct wired connection to the modem/modem router that it acts as a range extender for.

Firewall functionality at the hardware level is present in any modem-router I've ever dealt with.  To what is this thing going to be connected and is firewall functionality a part of it already?

Edited by britechguy, 10 August 2017 - 09:21 AM.

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy      Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

-> (my website address is in my profile)

Most problems precisely defined are already partially solved.
         ~ Harry Lorayne, Memory Makes Money

#8 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

Are you interested in using a computer to create a network appliance?   If so, SmoothWall Express is a great option (I used a SmoothWall appliance on my home network from 2003 until 2015).   pfSense is another alternative.   I would assume cost will be a factor.

Not sure if you were looking for an option such as one of these or if you were just looking for a standard router from SonicWall, Cisco, Netgear, etc.   

Just tossing out some options :)  .

Edited by daveydoom, 16 August 2017 - 09:03 PM.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users