Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to point webpage to virtual machine on VMware via Mac?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 joshlabtech

joshlabtech

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:31 AM

Make and model of computer: Apple, MacbookPro

How the computer is connected (wireless or wired): Wireless connection

Make and model of Router: Asus RT-AC87U

Approximate Distance From the router the PC is if its a wireless connection: 1 metre

What type of internet you have (Dsl, Cable, T-1,etc..): WIFI

Hi guys,

I'm using a mac so I cannot install minitoobox.exe to execute the application. Appreciate your understanding.

I would like to ask something regarding networking.

I have a MacBook Pro MacOS Sierra, and I installed VMWare Fusion in it.

I have a Windows 7 in my VMWare Fusion.

Now, I am trying to access a page of ip address 172.15.1.200/site/login.aspx
and I need to point the page to my router Ip address. Such that on PC, I would normally do this, route ADD 172.15.1.200 mask 255.255.255.255 10.150.8.2 -p

If anyone of you can advise how do I do that on mac so that I can access the page on vmware?

Currently it is showing "500 - Internal Server Error" although the page is working on other computers.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:34 AM

Hello

So, what you are trying to do is access a webpage running on the virtual Windows 7 machine from your mac?

tfn

#3 joshlabtech

joshlabtech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

Hello

So, what you are trying to do is access a webpage running on the virtual Windows 7 machine from your mac?

tfn

Yup, that's right. Any advice pls?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

Have you ever used Google to find out how to do something? 

Edited by Wand3r3r, 03 August 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#5 joshlabtech

joshlabtech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

Have you ever used Google to find out how to do something? 

Hi Wand3r3r,

Not sure why would you say such a thing. 

It would be more helpful if you didn't edit your post with "There should be no need for a router statement since its on a local lan [you route between lans]

sounds like all you need to do is update your mac hosts file with the web servers ip address/host name".

Of course, I did a search on google.

Disappointed, if this is how people are treated on this forum.

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:01 PM

I apologize for your mistreatment and will be happy to assist you in any way I can. Now let me ask this, what is the IP Address of your Mac?

Edited by arlattimor, 03 August 2017 - 10:28 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:26 PM

Approximate Distance From the router the PC is if its a wireless connection: 1 metre

Hi guys,

I'm using a mac so I cannot install minitoobox.exe to execute the application. Appreciate your understanding.

and I need to point the page to my router Ip address. Such that on PC, I would normally do this, route ADD 172.15.1.200 mask 255.255.255.255 10.150.8.2 -p

If anyone of you can advise how do I do that on mac so that I can access the page on vmware?

Currently it is showing "500 - Internal Server Error" although the page is working on other computers.

Thank you.

So is your Host IP Address 10.150.8.2 is that correct, and your Windows VM is 172.15.1.200? If that is correct would it not be simpler to have them both on the same subnet.  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:

VMWARE Fusion Bridged Networking

VMWARE Bridging Concept

Bridging Windows VM

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

My apologies.

Please don't take me as being rude. There was no such intention.
Nor should what I said be a reflection on the administration or support of this board.

I really thought I was doing you a favor by pointing to use a search engine ie database for your question.

Heck I got over half a million with just "How to point webpage to virtual machine on VMware"

It seemed an appropriate suggestion. Please forgive my misjudgment.

#9 joshlabtech

joshlabtech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:32 AM

Hi guys,

Thank you.

So is your Host IP Address 10.150.8.2 is that correct, and your Windows VM is 172.15.1.200? If that is correct would it not be simpler to have them both on the same subnet.  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:

VMWARE Bridging Concept

Bridging Windows VM

Thanks Alarttimor! I would take a look at those links. In the meantime, I also found this pretty useful, hopefully it might help.

http://anandmpandit.blogspot.sg/2011/07/how-to-add-persistentpermanent-routes_26.html

Edited by joshlabtech, 04 August 2017 - 02:33 AM.

#10 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:57 AM

Good info, I will keep that in my bag of tricks :cool:  :wizard:  :busy:

But I would definitely go the route of bridging your VM and having both Host & Guest on the same network range. Especially if you want to forward ports from your firewall to your VM to access your page from the Internet. Technically you can forward ports from your firewall to your VM with a static route. But Bridging will make things easier.

A. Lattimore

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:01 AM

But since you found that link, I'm curious did it work for you? LOL

A. Lattimore

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

If you can ping the IP address of the virtual machine from the host, just enter the VM's IP address in the browser. That's how I access websites running on VMs on my Mac and my PC.

#13 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

That's the problem the Host & Guest are not on the same subnet or network. That's why he asked about making a static route from his Host to Guest. http://anandmpandit.blogspot.sg/2011/07/how-to-add-persistentpermanent-routes_26.html . But in my opinion Bridging the network is the best option because it puts both Host & Guest on the same network range. 

VMWARE Bridging Concept

Bridging Windows VM

Edited by arlattimor, 06 August 2017 - 10:56 AM.

A. Lattimore

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

If the host is serving as the router for the VM, they don't need to be on the same LAN. If he can ping the VM's IP address from the host (and he should be), all he has to to is enter the VM's IP address in the browser.

I've done this numerous times on VMs hosting website I have running on Macs and PCs. In every case, the VM is on a different network segment with a different IP address. But because the host is the router, it can reach that IP address.

Edited by sflatechguy, 06 August 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#15 joshlabtech

joshlabtech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:20 PM

If you can ping the IP address of the virtual machine from the host, just enter the VM's IP address in the browser. That's how I access websites running on VMs on my Mac and my PC.

Hi Sflatechguy, my VM takes up the ip address of my host, so I can't ping my vm. Even when I tried to do ipconfig from the cmd of my cm, it doesn't return the ipaddress except the network mask and gateway.

Edited by joshlabtech, 06 August 2017 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users