Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is DuckDuckGo Really Private?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:50 AM

Started using because it claims to not track your searches and violate your privacy. Well, everytime I do a search for a product, e.g. going on Dell and HP websites to shop for a new desktop, I get loads of ads for desktops when I open sites like MSN or Yahoo. If DuckDuckGo keeps my searches private, why am I getting these targeted adds? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:22 AM

I use Firefox which you can use in a private window. Also see Firefox Tracking Protection — Mozilla

You can block third party cookies from installing. Those are the ad/ tracking cookies. Once you have blocked them from

installing, use CCleaner to remove the existing ones.

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

If you don't have an ad blocker installed I suggest using Adblock Plus. Once installed click on the ABP icon at the top of your

browsers and choose Filter Preferences. Then UNcheck the box next to Allow some non-intrusive advertisements.

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store   Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox   Adblock Plus for Edge browser   Adblock Plus for IE

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:51 AM

Started using because it claims to not track your searches and violate your privacy. Well, everytime I do a search for a product, e.g. going on Dell and HP websites to shop for a new desktop, I get loads of ads for desktops when I open sites like MSN or Yahoo. If DuckDuckGo keeps my searches private, why am I getting these targeted adds? Thanks.

Those are called cookies and are not related to privacy. You are confused and are comparing apples to Buicks, there is no relationship.

To answer your question, yes DuckDuckGo is private.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

Those are called cookies and are not related to privacy. You are confused and are comparing apples to Buicks, there is no relationship.

To answer your question, yes DuckDuckGo is private.

The only thing I'd argue with you is whether or not that particular use of cookies is related to privacy or not.  It's definitely not duckduckgo's doing that they're placed on a machine.  Google and a number of other search engines go well beyond looking at cookies that are just lying around waiting to be looked at and actually build a profile regarding your online activity.

To me, anything that leaves a "trail of breadcrumbs" (or cookie crumbs) that allows a third party to use information about where I've been to determine what they might want to present to me as far as advertising is impinging on my privacy.

As an aside to buddy215:  You might consider trying uBlock Origin in place of Adblock Plus.  I'm a recent convert due to advice received here on BC and I have to say that I believe it was good advice.  This is not to disparage Adblock Plus, either, which is a very good product.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Brian, I gave a lot of thought to what you said and LOGICALLY I think that is very sound reasoning. I really do not know the technical manner in which the cookie crumbs are spread out (so-to-speak), but thinking about what you said it sure seems like an invasion of privacy.

I am off now to Google the way that cookie crumbs are dispersed, maybe I will learn something.

Thanks Brian for expressing your opinion in a way that makes people think.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

So with UBlock Origin I can disable some of my other ad blockers?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,410 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

You only need one ad blocker and both Adblock Plus and UBlock Origin would fill that bill. Both of those and other

ad blockers use the same Easy List of ad servers they block and offer other lists that can be included. I think the Easy List

is sufficient for USA. Other parts of the world may want to add one or more of the other lists available.

Edited by buddy215, 03 August 2017 - 11:02 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:01 AM

So with UBlock Origin I can disable some of my other ad blockers?

I only use one ad blocker at any given time.  There are a couple of things I really like about uBlock Origin and one of them is its relatively light resource footprint.  It is also a fabulous cookie blocker, as it has features that go well beyond straight ad blocking.  Under Chrome I also use the uBlock Origin Extra extension.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,410 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

For Firefox users I also recommend learning to use NoScript which is an excellent ad blocker and excellent security.

It will block web beacons and all of those malware scripts that attempt to install adware and malware on your computer by just visiting a compromised or

a criminal's website. NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

From the Web:

A Web beacon is an often-transparent graphic image, usually no larger than 1 pixel x 1 pixel, that is placed on a Web site or in an email that is used to monitor the behavior of the user visiting the Web site or sending the email. It is often used in combination with cookies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users