Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 meeshu

meeshu

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

Try here.

XP wont boot into Safe Mode after changing settings under "msconfig" (SafeBoot selected with "minimal" under Boot.ini tab). But then the rebooting computer goes back into Normal Mode again!?

Pressing F8 key does make XP boot into Safe Mode (via menu), but editing the Boot.ini file (via msconfig) doesn't seem to work.

Windows XP Pro SP3.

Ran plenty of anti-malware programs which did find a few minor issues which were subsequently cleared.

SFC /scannow and CHKDSK were run and both didn't find any errors.

So why will XP not boot into Safe Mode via Boot.ini settings in msconfig??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:30 PM

Didier Stevens to the rescue,

Restoring Safe Mode with a .REG file: https://blog.didierstevens.com/2007/02/19/restoring-safe-mode-with-a-reg-file/
Download REG file: http://www.didierstevens.com/files/data/SafeBoot.zip

Restoring Safeboot: https://blog.didierstevens.com/2006/06/26/restoring-safeboot/

If you're using XP, click on the "Run.." option in your Start and in the resulting "Open:" box, type the following and then hit Enter:

msconfig

This will open the System Configuration Utility. In the General tab of the utility, make sure the "Normal Startup" option is checked; in the Boot.ini tab, make sure the "Safeboot" option is unchecked.

Another method would be to open boot.ini in Notepad and manually edit out the /safeboot option.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#3 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the help! Some interesting reading there!

Unfortunately, the SafeBoot "registry fix" (for XP SP3) didn't seem to work. XP still boots back to Normal mode after changing settings under msconfig!??

I have also "repaired" Windows XP installation via its installation CD/DVD, but again there was no improvement, computer still boots back to Normal Mode.

I'm currently scanning the system with some other anti-malware/anti-spyware programs, but so far nothing of concern has been found.

A couple of extra notes, though.

Quite often when shutting down, a message box appears that "explorer.exe" is still trying to shut down and it has the option that I could end the program now. The system usually doesn't shut down then ("hangs") until I select to end explorer now. This usually occurs after I've browsed the system via Windows explorer, and then closed Windows explorer. But this message box often appears and causes a system hang-up.

Also, when changing desktop video resolution, the resolution doesn't seem to take/change immediately!? I might have to change to another resolution setting (which may or may not take), and change (back) to the resolution setting that I want!?

It seems the system may be a bit laggy, it doesn't always respond to changes immediately.

#4 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

(1) Unfortunately, the SafeBoot "registry fix" (for XP SP3) didn't seem to work. XP still boots back to Normal mode after changing settings under msconfig!?? I have also "repaired" Windows XP installation via its installation CD/DVD, but again there was no improvement, computer still boots back to Normal Mode.

(2) I'm currently scanning the system with some other anti-malware/anti-spyware programs, but so far nothing of concern has been found.

A couple of extra notes, though.

(3a) Quite often when shutting down, a message box appears that "explorer.exe" is still trying to shut down and it has the option that I could end the program now. The system usually doesn't shut down then ("hangs") until I select to end explorer now. This usually occurs after I've browsed the system via Windows explorer, and then closed Windows explorer. But this message box often appears and causes a system hang-up.

(3b) Also, when changing desktop video resolution, the resolution doesn't seem to take/change immediately!? I might have to change to another resolution setting (which may or may not take), and change (back) to the resolution setting that I want!?

(1) Try Windows Repair for the 'SafeBoot' and 'explorer.exe' issues. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

(2) It still could be malware that is not detected, therefore, auditing ALL the auto starts is essential.

(3) The 'explorer.exe' could be something simple as such?

Message when you try to shut down or to restart Windows Vista: "The following programs are still running: Explorer.exe Playing logoff sound"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/931330/message-when-you-try-to-shut-down-or-to-restart-windows-vista-the-foll

Or, https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dep-crashes-explorer-exe-on-windows-shutdown.105653/

(3a) Do you know if anything is running in the background that won't let it shutdown? Any chance some utility is doing a scan of some type? Have you checked the Event Viewer to see if any error or warning messages are shown?

If you can't find it, you might try to use msconfig.exe to keep some programs from starting on boot for testing purposes. You might also use Task manager to try shutting down individual services before you do a full shutdown to see it that might allow the shutdown to proceed.

(3b) This is indicative of an operating system that IS showing signs of corruption, see if (1) may help?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#5 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:26 AM

Thanks.

I've already run WRAIO with the Safe Boot fix applied, but it didn't seem to help.

In the end I've reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP SP3. It seems to be running normally (so far), and I can NOW boot into Safe Mode via editing Boot.ini settings under msconfig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users