Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assistance on a computer upgrade

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Washes

Washes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my current PC to a more dependable gaming PC. Currently I have some parts from my old computer and a few components I was gifted / purchased.

OS - Windows 10 64-bit

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Vishera 22 °C

RAM - 16gb Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard -  ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 LE R2.0 (Socket 942) 25 °C

Graphics -  2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (MSI) 30 °C

VC279 (1920x1080@60Hz)

VC279 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Storage -  465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD) 31 °C

465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD) 25 °C

465GB Hitachi HDS725050KLA360 (SATA) 33 °C

4657GB Western Digital WD My Book 1230 USB Device (SSD) 32 °C

7452GB Seagate Backup+ Hub BK USB Device (SSD) 32 °C

Case - NZXT 340 

PSU - CX850M

Mouse - Razer Naga

Keyboard - Gskill Ripjkaw KM780M

Sorry as I posted before completing. Looking to run games at a solid ultra on a 1080P monitor. (Thinking on upgrading)

Have looked into buying a more powerful CPU / GPU / Motherboard. Currently thinking on the 1070 / 1080 / 1080TI with appropriate motherboard / CPU to not bottleneck. 

Or wait and get a Ryzen CPU and the new Vega motherboard. Any input on the decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Washes, 02 August 2017 - 08:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Hello,

This all depends on how much you are willing to spend. I'm sure if you bought a GTX 1060 your games would run well @ 1080p. If you want to spend more than that, a Ryzen CPU would be a good choice.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Washes

Washes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

Hello Captain_Chicken,

I was also thinking on 4k gaming by the end of this year as well. Would my current setup with a 1060 hold up with the current titles? Also new upcoming games like Destiny 2?

I was going to buy a gaming laptop but decided on upgrading this rig first so I have a solid home computer.I would have to say budget between 800 and 1500 for the upgrade.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

My advice is to wait for another few months.

Right now GPU prices are still higher than normal and RAM prices are higher than normal as well.

There was a big GPU buyout thanks to cryptomining so they will be a bit high in price for at least another two or three months.

Things have calmed down but you may wish to wait out for another month or so.

Also forget about 4K you really cannot do 4K on a small budget.

4K is a resolution and not a determination of how good a game will look.

I suggest aiming for 1080p or 1440p so you dont overpay for parts you really dont need.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 Washes

Washes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

MadmanRB,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will keep that in mind and hold off for the purchase until prices go down.
Also, I was planning on dumping some cash if I decide to go to 4k but I agree 1080 / 1440 will be sufficient for now.
Have been playing mainly console with some pc games and I like how much better games look on PC which is another reason I am upgrading this PC.

Now would you advise (when I purchase) to go big on the card and a few other components, or buy a 1060 when prices drop and upgrade the card again in the future. If I understand correctly, that card is not SLI compatible (could be wrong).

Essentially, what components would you upgrade with around 700/1500 that would make the most sense.

Thanks!

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

Yeah I will definitely put more money into graphics card such as the GTX 1060 or the 1070 if you really want something good I would actually say put money into a 1070 but if it seems too much then 1060 will do as that's my graphics card and I'm quite happy with it. But yes also aim for AMD ryzen as it's a good processor line especially with the ryzen 5 lineup such as a ryzen 5 1400 or 1600 if you want something with a little bit more kick of course it's up to you. The 1600 is actually a fantastic processor by the way definitely a good Contender for a gaming PC processor which can give you the ability to stream and multitask far better than the Intel counterparts although the 1400 is pretty good too as it's cheaper yes but it does still offer good multi-threaded performance

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 Washes

Washes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

Yeah I would be more opt to get the GTX 1070 than the 1060. That with the Ryzen 1600x is around $700. Which is well within my budget.

Would you recommend I keep my current MOBO or upgrade that as well? Same with the CPU cooler. I currently have the cooler master 212. I have not installed front fans in my case as under ultra / high gaming on Rocket league / Overwatch / WoW, I have not had GPU temps rise above 62° while gaming for hours while maintaining above 60FPS. Was thinking on the Kraken X62 as my current cooler only allows for 2 RAM slots to be used as I had the Vengeance RAM with the high heat syncs and barely fir the Cooler Master in there.

Ultimately, do you think it would be wise to switch to the Kraken x62, Ryzen 1600x, GTX 1070, and a new MOBO as I can build a PC with the components laying around that are missing and have that for my GF / Friends when they come over? Or would you recommend different components than I listed? 

Edit - It does struggle while playing H1N1 and PUG. BF1 plays alright, not satisfactory. ARK is unplayable IMO

Edited by Washes, 03 August 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

Ryzen is a new socket so it will need a new MOBO, you will need new RAM too as ddr3 isnt on ryzen motherboards.

Also dont need to bother with the 1600X as the 1600 will be very powerful.

All Ryzen processors are overclockable and the X really for XFR not like intels K skus or older AMD processors.

Save some money as the 1600 can be found for cheap if you look in the right places.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mV98TW/amd-ryzen-5-1600-32ghz-6-core-processor-yd1600bbaebox

It will come with a cooler so it will be up to you if you wish to use it or not.

The Wraith coolers are actually very good for stock coolers, the wraith spire is very good even under load but if you want a better cooler saving your money will be to your benefit.

Pair that with a B350 motherboard as B350 motherboards do have the ability to overclock on the cheap.

Pairing that with a 1070 will make one heck of a beast :D

Or you could go even cheaper and go with the Ryzen 5 1400

Its quad core yes but so are your core i5's

Its got great multi threaded performance and scores well in games.

If you want some benchmarks we can provide.

If this is not like a editing rig you can get off with a 1400, though it still does well at editing videos and the like thanks to its multi threaded performance.

Honestly either processor will be great or you could go in between and get the AMD RYZEN 5 1500X

Now if you wanted a good gaming machine sooner you could pair the 1600 with a GTX1050TI or RX560

There is no shame of going entry level if you wish to build sooner, both cards are actually low priced gaming powerhouses.

Both suited for 1080p gaming quite well and would be good for what you need

Plus in a few years more powerful cards will come and your card would retain most of its value so you could sell it.

I am a big fan of both cards for current gaming rigs on a budget and both will still make great graphics cards.

Edited by MadmanRB, 03 August 2017 - 07:43 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

If you are willing to wait a few days, AMD's Vega GPU's will be out and we can see just what the performance is in relation to the GeForce 1070 and 1080 GPUs.  I imagine a Ryzen 1700X paired with a Vega 64 air cooled GPU will deliver fantastic performance, especially if you buy it using one of the Radeon Packs which gets you $100 off the CPU when paired with either the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme X370, GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming K7, or MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM motherboards.

3939.png

#10 Washes

Washes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

MadmanRB

Thank you for the information. I was looking into the Ryzen 1600 and a GTX  1070. From what I read I heard their coolers were very good from stock. 

DJBPace07

I was thinking the exact same thing. If they are cheaper and have the same if not better performance it would be more worth it to wait and see how they do. Also, the Freesync monitors are cheaper (if I decided to buy another.) Plus getting 100 off the CPU with the MOBO combo is cood cost savings as well, and will almost pay for the RAM needed as well. 

Either way I can just swap this setup into another case and will have an entire computer able to play some games on ultra and new titles on med for a 2nd computer. All I have to do is wait another week or so. 

Side note, I saw the AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 benchmarks were leaked and looks to be a 1070 killer. If that happens to be true the price will drop a lot. The AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 would be more on par with the 1080 and may be the route I decide to go. Only time will tell. I appreciate all the information and if there is anything else you can advise me on, would be much appreciated. Another 10 days!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users