Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chrome default search engine changed to duckduckgo ?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

I am a firefox user, so haven't had the chance to update my chrome browser as frequently.

Today I launched my chrome and did the usual "search". The returned result suggested that the default search engine had been changed to duckduckgo.

This happened to two of my laptops, so I am not sure if both laptops are infected or if chrome at some point chose duckduckgo as a default search engine. A quick google search did not find much relevant info.

It is to be noted that I recently had some issue with one of my laptops - the issue being I could not copy and paste text from WORD to google docs.

I've scanned both laptops with malwarebyte but it did not find anything.

I scanned them also with JRT, which seemed to identify some junks but nothing too serious (?) and adwcleaner (the latest version seems to have bugs as it did not finish cleaning the pups and the program hung ??)

Questions

1. Did chrome opt to use duckduckgo as the default at some point?

2. If not, I guess both laptops are now infected ??

Edited

Questions

3. Was duckduckgo added together with one of the following updates ? Just noticed from my control panel that 5 programs were recently updated -

Java 8 update 144 (I believed I manually updated it)

Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer (WTF ????????) - program seems legit but I don't recall I updated/downloaded it

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (automatic updated ??)

Adobe Flash Player 26 NPAPI (automatic updated ??)

Adobe Flash Player 26 ActiveX (automatic updated ??).

Edited by seraphin, 02 August 2017 - 05:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users