Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can't access some files through Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 glassgreen

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

I am using some genealogy software that's installed in my Program Files(x86) folder. It's a 32-bit software program that I can on my olf Windows XP machine and reinstalled on my Windows 7 machine when I purchased it. I picked all the defaults during installation, so the software got installed in the Program Files (x86) folder by default.

The database files get written to that installation directory by default. When I'm in the software program I can access and open the database files through File>Open. The files appear with a lock icon, but they still open in the program. (see attached) But if I navigate to the files in Windows Explorer I don't see them at all.

There's no Open as Administrator of similar option when I right-click on the Program Files (x86) folder or the software program folder. I also do have my folder options set to show hidden files.

From within the program I can do a Save As and save a file somewhere else on my system and then I can navigate to it using Windows Explorer and see it. 

Ideas on what's causing me not to see the files in the Program Files (x86) folder this and how I can fix it?

Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1

Dell Inspiron 3521 64-bit

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,165 posts
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

What version are you running?  Versions 4 - 7 are 64-bit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users