Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS and Win7 network file sharing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jpd9930

jpd9930

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

I have a macbook air and a win7 pro PC I want to share files across on a home network. I have both systems configured to file share. Each system is present on the other system. When I try to finalize the connection both ask me for ID and passwords. On the mac when I press connect a window asks me for my Name and Password along with connect as Guest or Registered User (default).. The name is auto-filled with my name with no spaces. What password is it asking for? Network (tried), Mac login (tried)? Admin (tried)? All the google searches simply say enter your ID and PW.

From the PC side it asks for my network Password but I'm not sure what to enter for user. Registered user on the PC (admin)? Network Name? I have the network PW from my network settings menu. The domain is showing as my PC name.

The PC has always been on the homegroup. I am trying to add the mac.

Should I create a new network instead?

This doesnt seem like it should be as hard I am finding it to be. :) Feel free to be specific in your instructions and places to find the information requested.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

The user name and password required will need to be a user name and password that exist on the machine with the share.  So, if you are connecting from the Windows machine you will use a user name and password that is on the Mac.  When connecting to the Windows machine the Mac will use a user and password that is on the Windows machine.  To make this easier it would be best to create an account on both machines with the same password, i.e. User=Sharing Password=GiveM3, that way you would use the same user name and password no matter which machine you were on.

#3 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

OK, that worked going from mac to PC... PC lost connection with the mac so I am working on that...

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

Unfortunately I don't have any real Mac experience, so I can't be of much more than generic help.

#5 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

NP... the mac to PC connection is the one I wanted anyway. PC to mac was "connected" earlier so I know that works..just gotta fiddle about and figure out why it dropped and enter the proper ID and PW for the 2 way connection.

#6 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

I got the connection back but creating a new account on the mac for file sharing didnt work... same issue.... doesnt recognize the either the user name or PW for the mac account. Its still showing my domain as my PC name with the mac user account following a "/"... IE PC/MAC..I used the mac name and the account name using both passwords on each.

#7 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

OK got it.... thanks again BC...... you were a big help

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor