Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office365, Outlook2010 and 1 email address walk into a bar...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

Greetings all --

A very baffling problem here.  Small business, about 6 computers (2 Macs, 1 Win 10 PC, the rest all Win 7) in MS SBS 2011 environment.  Email accounts are all handled by Office 365 through local Office clients.  Two PCs have Office 2010 installed.

These two PCs can receive email from a group mailbox ("orders") but they cannot open the email.  The Macs and the Win 10 PC (Office 2016) have no problem with the same email, and if I go to the MS web portal, the email opens fine there for the two accounts affected.

That would seem to lay the blame on Outlook 2010, even though other group mailboxes' messages come through with no problem.  It seems to be only this address that is the problem.

However, I log into my server (2008 R2 Standard), which also runs Outlook 2010 (the exact same version, in fact) attached to an Office 365 account, and I have no trouble opening this email. 

So now I'm wondering if SBS might be the issue?  Since moving to the cloud (earlier this year) all Exchange services have been disabled on the server.  No problems with mail flow...just this one address.

Both PCs are running Trend Micro AV with no other anti-spam/AV programs.

I'm completely flummoxed.

Thanks for any and all replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DelPomerinke

DelPomerinke

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

Are you receiving any error messages when attempting to open the messages?   Any errors within the OS Application Logs?

Try enabling advanced Outlook Logging to see if any clues are generated within these Logs.   https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-is-the-Enable-logging-troubleshooting-option-0fdc446d-d1d4-42c7-bd73-74ffd4034af5

#3 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

That's an excellent idea.  The only error messages that appear are generic Red-X "This file cannot be opened" type things. 

My recollection is that nothing useful appears in the Event Log viewer; it has been a week since I've been to that client and a lot has happened since then.

My thought was just to upgrade the two PCs to Office 2016 and be done with it, but I will try the logging option.

Thank you!

#4 DelPomerinke

DelPomerinke

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

Sure sounds like a client specific issue,  updating to newer clients may well be the most simple fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users