Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Flashes White every 5-10 sec's or so... NEED HELP Only Computer I have!!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 raceware

raceware

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

I have a Pavilion Laptop recently the screen flashes a white screen then back to normal view .   Goes back & forth constantly about every 5-10 seconds.  I run Windows 10.  What is the problem & how do I fix it ?  Out of warranty.  I did try a restore but it failed to restore error. Product Number is N5P51UA.   Also does it in Safe Mode. I have been searching the internet trying to find fixes only one seemed close to it was Upgrading Windows 10 but that didn't help as the Services to uncheck where not listed on my computer, I did upgrade to Windows 10 but had no trouble from it for months so I think that is not related. All the help is gratefully appreciated!

Product Name
17-g153us
Product Number
N5P51UA
Microprocessor
2.2GHz 5th generation Intel Core i3-5020U Dual Core
Microprocessor Cacje
3MB L3 Cache
Memory
8GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM)
Video Graphics
Intel HD graphics 5500
Display
17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView WLED-backlit display (1600 x 900)
Hard Drive
1TB 5400RPM hard drive
Multimedia Drive
SuperMulti DVD burner
Network Card
Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity
1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth
Sound
B&O PLAY with dual speakers
Keyboard
Full-size island-style keyboard with numeric keypad
Pointing Device
HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support
External Ports
Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader
2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0
1 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
1 HDMI
1 RJ-45 (LAN)
1 Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smajo

Smajo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:09 AM

Well, if you had warranty still I would tell you to go to service, but now you need to repair it.

So, Hardware common problems are Graphics card and Software common problem is Graphics driver. You have Intel HD graphics 5500, go to Intel and search for latest driver for Windows 10, and update it. If still blinks, than it could be hardware problem, when you bought laptop?

#3 raceware

raceware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

I will look for the driver & try it .....Thanks

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

did you do the recommended hard reset?

To perform a power reset on a laptop with a removable battery, use the following steps:
  1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
  3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
  4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
  5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
  6. With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.
  7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
  8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
  9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
  10. After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.
  11. Your laptop has been reset. After a power reset, it is a good idea to run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers. See Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8) and Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7) for more information.

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

I had a similar laptop and a similar issue right before the LCD light went out. Is there any performance problems besides the screen issue?

#6 raceware

raceware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:32 PM

Tried to hookup an external monitor but laptop has no VGA port only USB & HDMI ports.  Also tried to update Video Intel driver downloaded it but won't "install Error: Not Verified".  Got a HDMI/VGA Adapter cable coming to try to hookup external.  Any other helpful troubleshooting  techniques?

Also to the last post, seems no other issue besides the screen flashing issue.    Did you resolve your LCD problem, if so how?  Did you simply have to replace screen or more involved than that?

Thanks 

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:38 PM

I still have the laptop but never fixed it. It isn't a hard fix to replace the light. If that is what's wrong you can get help here to do it yourself. If you took it to a pro it might cost $120 give or take to get it done. Best Buy Geek Squad quoted me $80 and that was 3 years ago so I added a bit for inflation.

Edited by HyperHenry, 05 August 2017 - 10:40 PM.

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:25 AM

YOu can try booting a Linux Live CD distro, and seeing if it functions fine under it..

If it does not, your laptop is bad, but, possibly just an overheating CPU or loose cable internally to monitor..; if it's just a monitor cable internally, your laptop will function fine if connected to an external monitor, if you have a VGA port or HDMI port...

It will require a 4 hour VERY careful teardown if it's internal...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#9 raceware

raceware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

YOu can try booting a Linux Live CD distro, and seeing if it functions fine under it..

If it does not, your laptop is bad, but, possibly just an overheating CPU or loose cable internally to monitor..; if it's just a monitor cable internally, your laptop will function fine if connected to an external monitor, if you have a VGA port or HDMI port...

It will require a 4 hour VERY careful teardown if it's internal...

Could you elaborate on the Linux Live CD & what I need to create one & how to use it? The laptop is my niece's & I'm just trying to troubleshoot the flash problem, she is starting college & it might be minus a laptop.  The laptop is not even 2 years old warranty just ran out last December.  Just wanting to find out what is causing the flashing constantly.  It seems the Computer itself seems to be working fine when I attempt to interact with it every 5 seconds! Of course she asked me when she bought it if HP was a good computer!!!!!!!!!

#10 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

It's pretty simple raceware. You download an iso file of Linux mint or a version of your choice. You then need a program like Imgburn to burn it to a dvd disk. You put the disk in your disk drive and it'll give you the choice to use it as a live disk or install it. You want to use it as a live disk to see if it boots up.

#11 raceware

raceware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

It's pretty simple raceware. You download an iso file of Linux mint or a version of your choice. You then need a program like Imgburn to burn it to a dvd disk. You put the disk in your disk drive and it'll give you the choice to use it as a live disk or install it. You want to use it as a live disk to see if it boots up.

FYI  I hooked up an external Monitor thru the HDMI port with an adapter cable & the video is perfect no flashing .  Does that mean the screen bad and/or cables only & not motherboard. What are any recommendations to do now?

Thanks

#12 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

I would say a bad connection somewhere between the video chip and the monitor. Probably a bad strip connection.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#13 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:47 AM

Typically a very tiny ribbon cable connection can work it's way loose from the mainboard...or, the display itself could be going bad, as someone already suggested....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users