Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible audio issue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:19 AM

Over the past few months I've been having sound issues, popping noises and momentary loss of audio as well as "robotic" type noise effects coming out of my speakers. I would usually just move the cable around which is connected to my 2.1 Creative external speakers via the 3.5mm output on the rear. 

Lately the sounds and loss of sound has been happening more frequently and moving the 3.5mm cable doesn't seem to help. I very briefly connected my phone to the cable yesterday to see if I get the same thing but I did not. It was only for a minute or so as I received a call and had forgot about it afterwards.

I need a more definitive way to check this, if it's the wire or the 3.5mm output on my motherboard (Asus B150 MA) which is still under warranty. If it does prove to be from the pc itself, is the 3.5mm output on the rear the only possible cause or could it also be a software thing?

Here's a low quality sample of the "robotic" noises I recorded with my phone. You can hear it at the 8, 11 and 14 second marks. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynlfw4f75my7qcx/Voice%20001_sd.m4a?dl=0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smajo

Smajo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:16 AM

Check audio driver, see if there are any viruses scan with av, then if It's still reinstall Win, if it's still, well than mobo..

#3 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Have you tried with headphones to see if you still get the noise? I wasn't able to listen to the audio file you uploaded but I'm guessing the robotic noises are feedback from the processor.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

Intermittent cables and connectors are the most common.. Headphone check can confirm the cable or connector.

#5 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:12 AM

I tried the front headphone jack with the speakers this morning but it did not occur. I tried again this afternoon with headphones using the front output and it did. I thought it might be temperature related but it's actually cooler in the afternoon with the rain outside. 

Seems to happen randomly with VLC and Winamp so I know it's not due to one program. 

I have Intel Display Audio and Realted High Defenition Audio in the drivers section. Am I supposed to try and uninstall/reinstalling them?

@henry - It's similar to the  sound you get when your pc freezes or right before it crashes while playing a clip with audio running. 

I guess it's sort of like this but in shorter bursts:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJFVgOg34E

Edited by j1983, 03 August 2017 - 05:14 AM.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

You can try to uninstall them from the device manager then go to the top of the list and find your computer name. Right click and click scan for hardware changes. Then reboot and see if it still does it. If it still does go to the manufacturer's website and look for updated drivers to download and install.

#7 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

I had more time to test today, I definitely hear it from both the front and rear 3.5mm outputs on my pc. I uninstalled and reinastalled both drivers. I did not restart but it did not seem to have solved the issue. I get the same popping noises, intermittent cut outs and that buzzing robot noise. 

There are periods where the sound is fine but then the sound issues come and go.  

I don't know much about this but I'm thinking if it were the hard drive, there might be more obvious signs like freezing and crashing. Maybe it's a software thing? I'm really hoping it's not some kind of hardware issue with the motherboard...

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

Try restarting and see what happens. Sometimes it's needed to complete the repair. If not I'd still suggest going to the manufacturer of your mobo and downloading the latest audio drivers.

#9 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

sound like maybe your dealing with a ground loop issue,  is everything plugged into the same wall outlet? speakers, external hdd's, monitors and anything that could be possible

plugged into a different outlet on a different circuit (different wall jack then the one your computer is plugged into).

i would go back to the basic's and use a single wall jack and surger protector and only plug your computer monitor and speakers into it and test.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:03 PM

Those noises can be hard to nail down.  I usually wrap the audio wires in a foil wrapper and keep away from any power leads.  The USB ports may also be a source, devices in any port and create some funny effects to the power supply.  Believe it, I had one lady that was using one of those USB fans, created a whine in the headphones and a buzz on speakers.

#11 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

I restarted earlier today, I was about to post that I'd had a good 8-10 hours free of issues from having music and movies playing on the background but now the popping and buzzing noises are starting to occur. Not as much as before and a little more infrequently it seems, if that means anything. 

@mightywiz, yes, everything (pc,monitor, speakers, fan) in my workspace is connected to the same extension cord which is connected to the only available wall socket in the room. 

I have had other issues which I thought might be related to the psu but have not had the time to replace it.  The mouse will momentarily stop working when I turn off a light on the wall which I suspect has a power line connected to the one that brings power to the wall socked where the pc is connected. I also sometimes get the usb unplugged alert sound when turning off a small desk fan also connected to the same extension cord. 

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

That event with the light switch is the nail in the coffin for the power supply.  It could damage other components before it fails completely.\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users