Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion Ubuntu Updates Finally Broke My Linux Distro.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:13 AM

Hello All,

Perhaps someone can explain this strange new phenomenon which has appeared after updating and installing updates on Lubuntu 16.04.

After running updates and installing latest updates I noticed my resolution has all of the sudden changed from 1024x768 to Auto and the refresh rate is also set to Auto.

Seems it only wants to run maximum resolution and I'm unable to change this.

I attempt to change the settings only to find nothing changes.

I attempt to change these settings again and are able to do so however a warning appears that in doing this action will disable my monitor.

I go ahead and ignore the warning and do a restart and YEP no monitor.

I'm just curious as a lot of people are having issues and now all of the sudden I'm starting to experience weird issues after updates.

I've only had very minor issues using Ubuntu or any of its Ubuntu based distros. 

I don't know about Canonical  Ubuntu Distros anymore seems to be becoming problematic with the new 16.04.1 and 16.04 .2 point releases. :scratchhead:

Edited by The-Toolman, 02 August 2017 - 01:21 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

I'm using Mint but tend to be wary of kernel updates. They can break things. At least there is an easy way in Mint Update to go back to an earlier kernel if this happens.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'm using Mint but tend to be wary of kernel updates. They can break things. At least there is an easy way in Mint Update to go back to an earlier kernel if this happens.

I wondering if this isn't what happened to change everything.

I thought I had locked the kernel down to where it could only be upgraded to a newer kernel manually but perhaps I didn't.

Yep Linux Mint  tends to offer a little more versatility than the Ubuntus.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

Ubuntu offers a recovery mode at boot. Try a previous version if offered.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/172319/how-can-i-start-in-safe-mode

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

Actually sounds more like graphics drivers, seeing the hardware you have in your sig it would make sense.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

Actually sounds more like graphics drivers, seeing the hardware you have in your sig it would make sense.

Actually the computer in my signature is working fine as it isn't running Lubuntu 16.04.

The computer in question has Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller and is also an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz @ 1066 FSB 3.0 MB Cache.

It has all worked fine until last set of updates.

Edited by The-Toolman, 02 August 2017 - 01:15 PM.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

Ubuntu offers a recovery mode at boot. Try a previous version if offered.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/172319/how-can-i-start-in-safe-mode

I've given that a try by holding the shift key and restarting and still only get a blank display.

I can boot into bios so I know that the hardware works.

I may have to stuff a DVD in and try to recover from it maybe.

Basically just trying to figure what happened as I do have a image of my hard drive so I can restore everything.

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

For the 2.5 years I've been using Linux distros I have found all Intel based hardware to work flawless with all Linux distros I use or have test driven.

If this was Nvidia Graphics which I have had some problems with using Linux distros I could accept having some problems with although not Intel that is being used.

I have another desktop Identical to the desktop I'm having problems with running Linux Mint 18 Xfce and it is working fine.

I'm kind of leaning towards a kernel problem or just somehow my install became corrupt and no longer is capable of working.

Just trying to get some ideas before I just jump into a reinstall.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

Does tapping esc at boot give you anything? Also, when at the blank screen press Ctrl + Alt + F1. Do you get a prompt?

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

Does tapping esc at boot give you anything? Also, when at the blank screen press Ctrl + Alt + F1. Do you get a prompt?

Nope Nothing. :scratchhead:

I think I'm going to have to pop in a Lubuntu DVD in and see what happens then.

Although the hard drive is detected in bios it may not be spinning which I have had happen before.

It may just be a failed hard drive although coincidental with the install of updates.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

If you have UBCD boot to Parted Magic from the UCBD menu and run Disk Health on the desktop. Do the short and long generic tests. When downloading UBCD click on the hard drive icon, not the mirror link.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

If you have UBCD boot to Parted Magic from the UCBD menu and run Disk Health on the desktop. Do the short and long generic tests. When downloading UBCD click on the hard drive icon, not the mirror link.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Cool I will have to look in to that.

I do have a cd of Parted Magic if I can find it.

Thanks for the link. 

Will probably just download it as it would be easier then trying to find my cd.

Will see what I find on this over the weekend.

Thanks

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

And y'all wonder why I jumped ship & embraced Puppy?

When I first moved to Linux (wiped XP off the face of the earth and dived headlong into Ubuntu, overnight) I was elated at how fast it installed, how clean & tidy it looked, and how smoothly it all worked. Until after a few weeks, when I started noticing just how many flamin' updates there were. Every day there was something new...

And gradually, bit by bit, my nice new Ubuntu install began getting slower...and creakier. (I thought I'd re-installed Windows again!) The last straw was when Canonical, in their infinite wisdom (and constant re-compiling of the never-ending kernel updates), decided to drop support for my ATI Radeon graphics chip. It got so all it took was attempting to open a browser, and.....crash!

(That, and Unity's constant insistence on full 3D hardware graphics acceleration being permanently engaged, of course....)

So I started looking around for something really lightweight. Puppy appeared to fit the bill nicely. And, curiously, with the move to Puppy, the graphics problems quit. Just like that. Stone dead.

And, of course, with Pup it's the user who's in control of updating. You update when you want to. Nothing's forced down yr throat by faceless individuals who are convinced they know better than you how your computer should run...

I jumped ship from MyCrudSoft to get away from all that crap...!!

(*Jeez, Louise...*)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 03 August 2017 - 06:17 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

Hey Mike,

Yep I'm wondering if a new kernel geeked my Lubuntu as it was all fine and then after some updates which I set to display immediately so I can install what I want.

I thought I had the kernel locked down so only I could install a new one but maybe not.  :scratchhead:

I may have let a new kernel slip by that I didn't catch prior to updating.

After updating I then had resolution issues where it was set as auto and when I managed to get the resolution changed and rebooted no display.

Now I did receive a warning about losing my display if I continued and I did so kinda my fault.

I'm also not overlooking a failed hard drive ether and maybe just a coincidence.  :scratchhead:

Anyway I'll work on it this weekend and see what I find.

Not any rush as I have five other desktops all connected and running.

Still like Lubuntu but depending on what I find I may not.

Just seems that the last two Ubuntu point releases have been problematic for a lot of users so I may be one of them now.

My Linux Mint 18 Xfce is working great and it receives pretty much the same updates although it does have better kernel control.

Ain't nothing but a thing I would just like to know if it is on them or on my end as I'm not a parts shot gunner as most techs seem to be.

I find antix Linux to be a lot like Puppy Linux RELIABLE for the old clunkers you and I run.

The Toolman  :grinner:

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

Well I decided to pull the drive and plug it into another working computer as a slave and try to see if I could read from it or write to it.

Have no clue as the drive is totally blank so whatever happened by Ubuntu updates or by my doing completely wiped the drive clean.

Replaced the drive back into the desktop and installed Peppermint 8 and all is well so don't know what to think.  :scratchhead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users