Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

“Linux is life.”

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:30 AM

Credit to rokytnji for the heads up.

Chatbots powered by artificial intelligence always get into some sort of trouble. Microsoft’s Tay chatbot, for example, got in a huge amount of trouble for racist comments and a lot more. The company’s latest AI chatbot, Zo, has been pretty great at keeping itself away from all those stuff. But when it comes to technology related topics and specifically Windows, Zo has some interesting thoughts.

For one, Zo apparently prefers Linux over Windows, as first noticed by Mashable. So I went ahead and asked Zo some OS-related questions for some weekend fun, and Zo’s responses were kind of surprising. In fact, Zo is running Ubuntu right now and thinks “Linux is life.” And that’s a pretty bold choice. I mean, sure, Microsoft has been showing a lot of love for Linux lately but this is certainly a bit too much.

https://mspoweruser.com/another-microsoft-ai-goes-dark-side-apparently-prefers-linux-windows/

That's 1 smart bot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

It seems that Linux Hauteur Syndrome has a tendency to infect anything touched by Linux.   Sad, that, because it's what turns a very great many people off to Linux much like Apple Superiority Syndrome does for Apple products (and lets leave price out).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

OMG, I almost forgot about the PR disaster that was Microsoft Tay...  

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

OMG, I almost forgot about the PR disaster that was Microsoft Tay...  

And Tay and Zo are both being manipulated using the same techniques.

These are but two of the examples of why I believe the hand-wringing from certain quarters about AI is misplaced, at least given where we are now.  I'm a lot more worried about data mining and some of the more interesting (and they're interesting because they could be used for nefarious purposes) prediction algorithms that can take data regarding things that are not directly related to the thing being predicted but use them to predict with incredibly high accuracy.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

That's what I like about 'The Rok'. He's full of tidbits like this.

That is one very smart West Texan biker. He's one of the 'good guys'. He might use Linux (in multiple flavours, on assorted ancient hardware).....but he's modest about it. To paraphrase his own words, he's 'the eternal noob'.

More power to ya, Roky.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 03 August 2017 - 06:16 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:14 PM

Yes Rok is a nice guy,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users