Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erasing SSD on MacBook Pro before selling (I was not using File Vault!)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThePogus

ThePogus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:43 AM

I have read that the most secure way to erase a MacBook Pro's SSD before selling is to encrypt it first using File Vault and then erase using Disk Utility. However, I have already erased the SSD using Disk Utility and I was NOT using File Vault to previously encrypt the drive. What can I do now to make sure all of my information is not retrievable by anyone buying the computer? Can I encrypt the empty drive now and then erase again? Would this also encrypt and securely erase any previously deleted remaining/retrievable data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:57 AM

Hi

Would this help?

http://osxdaily.com/2013/04/22/secure-erase-mac-ssd-drive-recovery-mode/

#3 dwbergstrom

dwbergstrom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

You could definitely re-encrypt the drive with a long random password, then erase one more time as a method to securely erase the drive.  Apple makes a note to that effect at the bottom of the page here:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201949 

You could also boot to a Mac OS installer USB and use the zeroDisk, randomDisk or secureErase options in diskutil:  https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/diskutil.8.html 

The caveat with the second option is noted in the man page for diskutil:

NOTE: This kind of secure erase is no longer considered safe because modern devices have wear-leveling, block-sparing, and possibly-persistent cache hardware. The modern solution for quickly and securely erasing your data is strong encryption, with which mere destruction of the key more or less instantly renders your data irretrievable in practical terms.

#4 ThePogus

ThePogus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users