Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows services broken after AIO tweaking.com repair tool

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VivekP

VivekP

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:34 AM

Hello

After running tweaking.com aio tool,I got a black screen after boot,even before login screen.I tried to restore my pc,but failed at some point with different errors.I even googled them and rectified some ,but the restore failed somehow.I thought of getting into safe mode but couldn't get in to it.I used the trick of 3 failed boots to get to safe mode and from then it got stuck in recovery options loop. I completely backed up my files and tried repairing using my repiar disc.It too failed.Reset failed.Sfc found some errors and couldn't fix them.Tried repairing using dism and install.wim files.I reinstalled the os(16232 win 10).But most of the services are greyed out and couldn't even access propertieds start stop or anything .Mainly BFE service is required to reinstall the antivirus.I tried the bFE fixes and other service file registries .I again tried the aio tool and again got black screen before login screen.I restord the pc and now I would like to restore services like BFE,firewall, etc.Please help meAttached File  a.PNG   16.17KB   0 downloadsAttached File  s.PNG   16.24KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:38 AM

Windows Vista/ 7/8/8.1/10 keep a regular backup of the registry handy in case you need to overwrite a corrupted registry. By default, the RegIdleBackup task runs every 10 days, so that’s as far back as you would lose if you replaced the current registry with the automatically backed-up files. You can find the backed-up registry files in \Windows\System32\config\RegBack folder.

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below commands into Command Prompt and for each command you have typed press Enter key.

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SAM         SAM.BAK

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM      SYSTEM.BAK

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SECURITY    SECURITY.BAK

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\DEFAULT     DEFAULT.BAK

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE    SOFTWARE.BAK

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM         C:\windows\system32\config

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM      C:\windows\system32\config

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY    C:\windows\system32\config

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT     C:\windows\system32\config

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE    C:\windows\system32\config

This procedure assumes that Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 is installed to the C:\ partition. Make sure to replace C:\ drive letter to the appropriate Windows OS installed partition drive letter if it is a different location.

Above commands renames the registry files at their existing location, and then copies the registry files from the RegBack folder to the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 VivekP

VivekP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:43 AM

I'm afraid it may even get worse if I do this Since the current files are much better than the backed up files

Attached File  q.PNG   11.86KB   0 downloadsAttached File  w.PNG   29.62KB   0 downloads

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:44 AM

If you like you can do repair install of Windows 10.

- Dalai Lama

#5 VivekP

VivekP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:12 AM

I already did it,but the services remained greyed out.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

Have you use tweaking.com aio tool to reset registry permissions?

- Dalai Lama

#7 VivekP

VivekP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:31 AM

Yes,That is how my problem started.I actually used it to speed up my pc but I got in to a serious problem because of this.The only thing I could do is startup repair using recovery usb.The services started running as soon as i run this tool,but am getting a black/blank screen before the login screen appears.Then I have to startup repair to get through the login screen ,which eventually lead to frozen windows services

Please help me

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

What happens to services from different user account.
The tool should created registry hives backups you can use those backups to restore registry hives.

Edited by FreeBooter, 05 August 2017 - 06:26 AM.

- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users