Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Clean P2p Sites

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:38 AM

Just wondering if anyone knows of a P2P site that is truly clean. IE: when I download the software, I want no extra gunk on the box.

Any suggestions would be welcome. :thumbsup:

Thx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:52 AM

Shareaza or Azureus won't install "extra gunk" on your PC , but the risk of infection is at it's greatest when you start downloading files no matter what P2P app you use.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

You can check out these 2 sites:
Malware Removal - Clean/Infected P2P Programs
Is That Filesharing Program Infected?

You should also check out this site:
Risks of File-Sharing Technology
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:53 AM

Thanks very much for the recommendations. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm fully aware of the risks of file sharing. I do have ZoneAlarm Pro & McAfee 10 on the comp. I think this would be sufficient to alert me if there is something funny going on...

:flowers:

#5 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:26 AM

Thanks very much for the recommendations.

You're welcome.

I do have ZoneAlarm Pro & McAfee 10 on the comp. I think this would be sufficient to alert me if there is something funny going on...

No , not so. When you are sharing files over p2p you are trusting that any particular file that you download , actually contains what it says. For example , the file may say it contains a particular song from a certain artist but if you're unlucky could also be hiding an infection that is loaded the minute you open the file.
Now it's too late , you're PC is infected.

You could of course check each individual file you download with your anti-virus programme , but i can assure you , there is still no guarantee that if that file is harbouring a nasty, that your AV will recognise it

You choose P2P file sharing at your own risk , and the chances are , that no matter what PC protection you have , at some stage you're likely to get stung.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

I'll bet you are using an administrator account rather than a limited account too when you use the P2Ps.

Doing so will give any malware that sneaks in admin rights too.

The only safe way to download music is from one of the major pay for the music sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users