Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Activation Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowspear18

Shadowspear18

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:57 PM

I had Windows 7 home before I upgraded to Windows 10 Home. I had to reinstall Windows and when I did, some how Windows 10 Pro got installed. After installation, it kept saying activate Windows. When I tried to enter my activation key, this error message popped up.

We can't activate Windows on this device as the previous version of Windows was not activated prior to upgrading to windows 10. Go to the Store to buy genuine Windows. Error code: 0x803F7001

I have no idea how to fix this without buying windows again. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

If you had Win 10 Home installed and activated then you can re-install this a often as necessary, but only Win 10 Home and I think this is your problem. You do not have an activation for Win 10 Pro which is why you are getting this error message.

Got to the MS site and download the ISO of Win 1o Home, and this time make sure it is the Home version !  This is the link -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You then need to burn this to either a DVD, if you have an optical drive, or to a blank memory stick. If you use a memory stick you will need to use something like Rufus, a free download, to convert the ISO to usable files ( https://rufus.akeo.ie/ ). For the DVD you can use either the burn ISO to disc feature in Windows Explorer or something like ImageBurn, again to convert the ISO to usable files. You may need to go into your BIOS to change the boot order to either DVD first or USB stick first, whichever you decide to use.

Then boot the computer with either the disc or the memory stick. I believe you have an option in Win 10 to do an OS install without affecting your files and applications. If you are offered this choice, take it BUT it is always a good idea to do a full backup of your data before starting an operation like this.

Any questions, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

Chris,

Just for the record, there are not separate ISOs for Windows 10 Home and Pro, though there are for 32-bit, 64-bit, and both together on one ISO (bigger than a DVD, unfortunately).

All components required to install either Home or Pro are part of the ISO file.  The installer determines what it needs to install based on the presence of a digital entitlement on Microsoft's servers for reinstalls and based on the license key you enter for installations from scratch or reinstalls with the express intent of changing from Home to Pro.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Brian, I am not doubting you for a minute, your Win 10 experience is considerably greater than mine. But then I have to ask - how did the OP get Win 10 Pro on a computer which had previously had Win 10 Home on it ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,986 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

Chris,

That remains a mystery to me.

It's just as mysterious as the brand new machine that was part of a collective purchase from Dell, all of which were ordered with Windows 10 Pro, but one of which would not activate.  Today I ended up calling the Microsoft Activation line and it was activated by hand where I had to enter this ungodly long digit sequence to get that to happen.

After this experience I would suggest that the OP do the same.  When Windows 10 won't activate you get a link in the activation dialog that says something like "Activate By Phone."  After I clicked that I was given a dialog with a phone number.  It is clear that there several "common" activation errors because the menu asks if you have an error code and then, if you respond in the affirmative, goes through the last four digits for four or five of these asking you to press a specific digit on your phone if that's what you've got.  Eventually you do get a real person to get things activated.

The OPs machine was originally Win10 Home and a reinstall should only give him Win10 Home unless he were to have bought a license for Pro and entered that license key when prompted.  I have always done Resets or reinstalls for the same version, so have never given a license key.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 Shadowspear18

Shadowspear18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

Thank you for your help. It's fixed now

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,986 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

And might we ask how the resolution was reached?  That could prove helpful for future readers.

#8 Shadowspear18

Shadowspear18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:16 AM

I had to reinstall the OS and Win 10 home was there. After reinstall it all worked fine and is running great

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

Fine, we'll put that one down as a 'blip' then, but thanks for letting us know what fixed it.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users