Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuttery/choppy gameplay despite a decent rig and good FPS ! :(

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nebrok

Nebrok

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

I just bought a new computer 2 weeks ago and I have been dealing with this extremely annoying issue that makes the games almost unplayable. I have tried many fixes but nothing worked so far and it just fills me with sadness that I spent 800$ on a PC that can't run properly  :(

When I play games like Bioshock infinite, Killing Floor, Dishonored 1 etc... the gameplay is stuttery and not smooth like it should've been. I experience this issue even in really old games like Runescape and Call of duty 2 etc... I always have FRAPS running and it reports that ALL of the games I've played and mentioned so far run with 70+ and even with 100+ FPS but I still somehow get this issue where the gameplay appears jittery/stuttery and not smooth at all.

A thing to note is that under load my graphics card does produce weird buzzing/beeping noise which is most likely coil whine that should not affect the performance of the card.

I ran Heaven benchmark today and some of the scenes were very smooth with 60+ FPS and some of the scenes were choppy and it seemed like the animation was rubber banding/going back a litle bit like in games where the player is jumping back a bit due to server or network problem, that is the best way I can describe what I saw. 

I've also noticed that almost 60% of the time when the scene switched to the other one there was a slight 0.5/1 sec freeze and the FPS jumped down from example 100 to 60 and then it went straight back up again. This happened also in the middle of the scenes. The score was pretty decent when I compared it to other scores that people posted on the web with the same PC build. Here are the results though http://imgur.com/a/79qqg  

I am experiencing this "freezes" in all of the games I've mentioned as well. I also experience the "rubber banding" in games but it is kinda mixed with stuttering/jittering.

I've come to this forum since my friend told me you guys are amazing at solving difficult problems like this one. You even helped my friend getting a really annoying problem fixed which he is really grateful for.

If you guys know how can I fix this annoying issue or if you can tell me what is wrong with my PC I would really appreciate it ! :lol:

SPECS:

• Asus GTX 970 STRIX 4GB OC Edition
  • Intel i5 4690k quad core 3.5 ghz
  • 1 stick of 8 GB Hyperx Fury RAM
  • MSI Z97 Gaming 5 MOBO
  • 1 TB WD HDD
  • Corsair CX600 PSU

Edited by Nebrok, 02 August 2017 - 02:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nebrok

Nebrok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

Messed around with some CPU stress testing and ran the cinebench r15 test for CPU and I got a score of 578 cb. The usage reached 100% on all of the cores. Temperatures reached 77 degrees max. The L2 Hit Ratio went up to 70% and the l3 hit ratio also went up to 70%

I ran OpenGL after that as well and I got 130 fps. The CPU usage reached 45%. Temperatures reached 63 degrees max. The L2 and L3 hit ratio went up to 40 %

When I ran OpenGL again and checked out how graphics card performed. The temps went up to max 65 degrees and the GPU usage went up to max 44% GPU clock was at 1304 Mhz, memory clock at 7012 Mhz and the memory usage went up to max 412 MB. 

I realised just now that I had power options set to best performance. The fan speed of the GPU was also set to auto which means that the fans only start when GPU temps hit 66 degrees and increase when that is needed. I manually set and increased the fan speed by a little bit, set power options to balanced and the temps of the GPU immediately droped down. The CPU temps also decreased a little bit.

When the fans of the GPU are set to auto and when the CPU and GPU are idle and nothing is running the CPU temps are at 38 degrees and GPU temps are at 53 degrees. I believe that the K series of this processor is designed to bear 90+ degrees until it starts throttling.

I tried quite a few things over the weekend but no luck :(

Edited by Nebrok, 07 August 2017 - 10:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users