Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 mail app

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

I had trouble with Gmail sign in so deleted it. Now I cannot add it to the app and get it to work.

I have no error code.

What can i do for an average user?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

Firefox/chrome/Edge/IE - google.com - Mail (Top right corner). Bookmark this page - the Gmail log-in screen.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#3 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

If you really insist on using the Windows 10 mail app, try this

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/add-your-gmail-account-to-windows-10s-mail-app/

Otherwise, I'd suggest just logging in via your browser (Chrome / Edge / Firefox or whatever)

#4 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

I didn't explain myself. I did set up a Google account as you said. It worked fine for a long time. I have 2 other emails accounts in the Windows mail app too. I basically use it to see how much mail I have then go to those accounts to do work. So the original setup was fine.

It was after set up and about 6 months later that there was a danger sign in Gmail. I could not fix it so I thought to delete it and recreate it as I did the first time. However, it won't allow this as it says it cannot be done when you click on Google as your choice. I ran SFC.

I did a system restore. This was all to no avail.

I am afraid if I do an image recovery with Macrium I will have issues as I just changed all my important passwords, a dozen of them.

As you can see from the screenshot, there is a problem when clicking on Google. You can also see my failed attempt to create a Gmail account as it is visible but non functional.

I would use another app but I like this one and found Thunderbird to hard for me. The rest had restrictions like only 2 emails accounts etc.

Can you think of a way to reinstall this app now that it is refusing;I am signed in. I have 2 android phones , a chromebook and a desktop. The chromebook is for my wife and I uam using the desktop. Could it be  conflict or just a corrupted file?

Attached Files

Edited by PDN, 02 August 2017 - 06:16 AM.

#5 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:28 AM

Are you using two-factor authentication on your Google account? If so then you'll require an app specific password which you enter instead of your email/account password when setting up email account.

#6 Smajo

Smajo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

I don't understand why do you want to use application, go from browser to Googlemail?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,890 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

I don't understand why do you want to use application, go from browser to Googlemail?

Because many people prefer an e-mail client where they can see all of their e-mail from all of their accounts at the same time.

I don't use an e-mail client, but that's because I don't currently have the desire to be looking at all my e-mail accounts simultaneously.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,890 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

To PDN,

This is a common problem that is well documented, as are the ways to solve it:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=win10+mail+app+0x8007042b&t=hq&atb=v33-7__&ia=web

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

Thank you to those who offed positive suggestions.

#10 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

I wanted to finish the thread I started.

I kept trying to uninstall/reinstall etc. that mail app.

I received a popup from Google followed by an email,  that they were blocking gmails installation ; the reason given was it could compromise my security. They gave a link to a site where I could change the setting.

The app works fine and I can work with all my email accounts.

I don't think my security has been compromised and further, many others think the app was the problem.

I hope any who wanted that app will read this and be able to release the grip Google has on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users