Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

APC PowerChute installer failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

Computer: Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1703, Avast Premier, Malwarebytes Premium, WinPatrol, MVPS hosts file, SpywareBlaster, CryptoPrevent.

UPS: APC BackUPS BN900M, USB data cable installed, charge status indicator is showing on systray of computer, so data connection is working.

Downloaded PowerChute Personal Edition installer PCPEInstaller.exe from APC web site, selecting the Wndows 10 version.

When I try to launch the installer, the usual UAC permission request window appears.  When I select "Yes" (to allow the installer to make changes) the UAC window instantly disappears - and nothing more happens.  Little spinning circle for less than one second, and then nothing more.

I tried deleting the installer and downloading a fresh copy.  That made no difference, same result as before.  Checked installed programs, no sign of PCPE software anywhere.

I filed a support request with APC about 4 hours ago, got an acknowledgement but so far no remedy.  If the install were being blocked by any of my software, I would normally get some sort of warning notice.  Instead, nothing, zilch, nada.  Most unusual in my experience.  I am asking here just in case somebody might know what the problem is.

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2017 - 02:36 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Update: this problem has been solved by using a command-line controlled installer developed and provided by APC staff.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for letting us know.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

Thanks!

I have to say that APC staff and the APC online community have been EXTREMELY helpful throughout this little adventure.  When nothing seemed to work, they asked me if I would be willing to test a command-line installer.  It worked like a charm, first time, without a hitch.  All respect!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users