Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Browsers.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arnak

Arnak

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on how to solve a slow browser on some sites.

Using Vista 32.

The pc was fine until recently then I stated to experience sites that were usually fine but now either are very slow to connect or just sit there transferring data but never complete.smiley7.gif

Sometimes a browser refresh helps.

I have tried all the usual option, run the pc in safe mode, run the browsers in safe mode, reste the tcp and winsock settings, flushed the dns cache and checked for malware.

Both Firefox and Explorer are effected.smiley18.gif

I have tried to use the TCPView and the developer tools but cannot understand all the info.

The nearest I have come to understand is that the browser seems to be stuck at listening.

Is there a page somewhere that I can read up to learn more about the tools please or any advice you can give?

Thanks,

Martin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:43 AM

Firefox and some others browsers dropped support for Vista
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista
Because of this decision a lot of pages connected with e.g. online banking, finances, etc. decided to do the same.
I'm also user of Vista (and XP also) so I can advice to use Firefox ESR and SlimJet as the second browser that can help you in some pages/services. BTW - I'm using portable version :)

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#3 Arnak

Arnak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

Hi Ichito,

Thanks for the reply but the problem exists even with IE so it must be an underlying problem with Vista.

My difficulty is that I can't seem to find how to delve deper into the problem to see what is happening or rather not happening. :wizardball:

I am attempting to learn which tools will give more info.

Martin

#4 Smajo

Smajo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

Arnak, do defragmentation of Hard Disk if your OS is installed like 1 - 10 years ago, Scan with anti-virus viruses, install latest version of Avast, NOD32 or Avira. Clean cookies from your browsers. If still problem is same, than you should look about your Internet Connection.

Go to Run and write cmd and in cmd write: ping google.com -t

And if It's: Reply from *Your IP* minimize cmd and go to the sites and browse something, If in cmd still is Reply from, reply from, reply from than your Connection is good, but if It's something else, than your problem is Internet, maybe sometimes it fails with Contact and sites are loading and waiting for connection. Try

#5 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:09 AM

Hi Ichito,

Thanks for the reply but the problem exists even with IE so it must be an underlying problem with Vista.

Here you have info about IE from January 2016...it could be likely the same situation

Microsoft is finally moving on from its aging Web browsers as Internet Explorer 8, 9, and 10 will receive their last security updates and enter end-of-life on January 12. Users will then see a tab with a download link to the most current Internet Explorer available for the operating system.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3020534/security/microsoft-will-end-support-for-internet-explorer8-9-and-10.html

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#6 Arnak

Arnak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

Hi Guys,

Thans very much for the replies. :guitar:

I see what you mean regarding IE and Firefox on Vista altough I am still convinced that the problem is some where in Vista as today all sites are now loading fine.

The ping command will be very useful if they slow down again and may give a clue.

Although my internet connection is fast and high speed as 2 other pc's connect to it as well and they are both OK even on the same slow sites.

They are not running Vista though.

So I will have to wait until the slow down occurs again.

Martin

#7 Tom_More

Tom_More

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:34 AM

Hi guys.. new member.. my old Toshiba L350, a very nice old machine is loading terribly with all browsers.. so I also think its Vista or Toshiba.. Frustrated. Tried restore and defragged... things still won't load and the ISP is running 54 MB download with excellent strength signals... My old gateway decided to die on me too.

So I'm also looking for a new laptop and could use some advice there too. I'm using my Acer sw5..etc with 32 gigs... what a nice machine..with 4GB left.... (boy I feel stupid on that one..nice unit that it is.)

Oh welll... 

Don't I sound like fun!!??

Cheers

#8 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

Arnak / Tom_More:

Go to Help | About Internet Explorer in IE9 and confirm that your Update Version is at least v9.0.60 (KB4014661), which is the last IE9 cumulative security update delivered by Windows Update during the April 2017 Patch Tuesday updates.

Attached File  IE9 Version KB4014661 April 2017.png   17.66KB   0 downloads

There is a known issue with Windows Update on Vista SP2 computers where background automatic updates can get stuck on the the initial "Checking for updates..." phase without throwing an error message.  If this happens the Windows Update Agent (running under the Windows host process svchost.exe) will saturate an entire core of your CPU and consume significant amounts of RAM for hours (or even days) and can severely impact your system performance.  There is no associated disk read/write activity or extra bandwidth consumed on your internet connection but you might notice your cooling fan running frequently if it needs to cool your CPU.

If you think your system might be affected see the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.

Even if you manage to patch Vista SP2 as of 11-Apr-2017 (i.e., the end of extended support for this OS) the "Checking for updates..." hangs and high CPU consumption will return every Patch Tuesday on the second Tuesday of the month if you have MS Office 2007, MS Office 2010 or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed.  A workaround for that problem is also discussed in m#l's thread.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3

Edited by lmacri, 07 August 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#9 Arnak

Arnak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

Hi Imacri,

Thanks for the advice on the Vista problem.

My pc has now settled down on it's own and the browsers are back up to normal speed but I still don't know why!

Martin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users