Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistant black screen on laptop after crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hammil77

hammil77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

I'm having a problem that I can't seem to figure out how to fix. These are my laptop specs that I was able to pull from Dell's site:

Dell Studio XPS 1645

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz

GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

Hard drive: TOSHIBA MK6476GSX ATA Device

Last night, I had my laptop on for about 3 hours using it normally when I left the room for about 15 minutes. When I came back the screen was black and when I moved my finger over the touchpad nothing happened. Since the fan was running loudly and my laptop felt kind of warm, I hit the power button to turn it off and left it off until it got cool again. When I turned on the computer all the lights and sounds were normal but the screen continued to be black. I noticed there's a soft almost click noise that I'm used to hearing before the Dell logo appears and that sound is missing.

I've tried everything I can after extensive Googling yet the screen remains black. I can't get to BIOS, I can't get to Safe Mode, I can't get a picture to show using another monitor, I can't do anything. It will run an LCD test (when I hit the power button with the D key) but aside from flashing a few colored screens at me nothing happens. I read on another forum that bypassing the graphics card might help but I don't know how to do that since I can't get into BIOS. I also don't know how to manually remove the graphics card if that's a possibility. Can anyone help me here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

As a simple place to start try unplugging it and removing the battery. The hold the power button down for 30-45 seconds. Then reinstall the battery, plug it in and try again. This reset will often fix it. Hopefully it will at least get you on to run other tests.

#3 hammil77

hammil77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

I actually haven't had my battery plugged into it for a while now but I did what you said then reinserted the battery and powered it up but still nothing. Just a black screen.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. Please DO NOT create a new topic — there is no need to do so.

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

Caution! Please read for more information.
Please only use the ZIP compression format — do not use 7z, RAR, etc.!!!

Useful information!
Even if you're not experiencing BSODs, please follow the instructions still as the uploaded reports are still useful.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 hammil77

hammil77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

How can I run that program if I can't access the desktop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users