Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering data?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Wannabike

Wannabike

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

My friend thought his computer had a virus so he reset his computer to an earlier date to eliminate it. The problem is that he didn't back up his personal data. Is that data forever lost or is there a way to recover?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2017 - 12:56 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

There was always an option to undo changes if system restore was used, but it was a bit hit and miss.

Many people discarded that method and maintained regular image backups instead.

#3 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

He might try Recuvva. It's free and has helped me recover files after reformatting a hard drive. Not everything will be recoverable and it takes several hours to run but it may get back a lot of what he needs.

#4 Wannabike

Wannabike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

Thank you for the info.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:46 PM

Any data stored "outside" of My Documents or "outside" of Libraries (somebody correct me if I'm in error) should ve aok.

Any data stored "inside" of My Documents -- follow the advice of previous posters.

And, after all recoveries have been made, after recovered files have been spot-checked for ability to be read from, written to, by their respective creator programs -- please begin a backup routine using any one of the many backup / restore / cloning utilities and any affordable external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Rexofc

Rexofc

• Banned Spammer
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

ONE SOFTWARE CAN BACKUP YOUR TOTAL C DRIVE WITH ALL YOUR LOSTED FILES! Reply if you still have problem and want this. I can help you on this!

Edited by Rexofc, 02 August 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

Why don't you just say what it is here? Someone else might need it too.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

I am not entirely clear that this whole thread is necessary.

If the OP is saying that the friend used Windows 10 System Restore this has no impact whatsoever on an individual's personal data files created after the restore point being used.  All user data is maintained, it is only the state of the operating system that is restored.

If, on the other hand, he or she did a restore using a system image from an earlier date, that does overwrite everything and you'd have to use recovery tools to discover what can be retrieved, if anything.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 Wannabike

Wannabike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't clear when I started this thread. I spoke with my friend again and he said that he restored his computer to the factory settings so it is as it was when he bought the computer. That's all that I know about it andI I have gotten so much help from this site in the past,  I thought maybe I could help him by posting his problem. Also, I believe he has Windows 7. If this thread is inappropriate i will delete if necessary.

Thanks

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

Then your friend is going to have to either engage professional recovery services or give Test Disk (or one of its utilities) to try to recover files from what is now free space or completely unallocated space on the hard drive.

A factory "out of the box state" type reset is awfully radical, in every sense, and the probability that a great deal of that data was already overwritten as part of that process is high.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

If the OP is saying that the friend used Windows 10 System Restore this has no impact whatsoever on an individual's personal data files created after the restore point being used.  All user data is maintained, it is only the state of the operating system that is restored.

If, on the other hand, he or she did a restore using a system image from an earlier date, that does overwrite everything and you'd have to use recovery tools to discover what can be retrieved, if anything.

I think something is getting lost in the transfer of information. As you say a system restore wouldn't lose any files. I'm wondering if the virus wiped his files. He should have done a reinstall in that case. Further edit in post below. I clicked quote instead of edit.

Edited by HyperHenry, 02 August 2017 - 09:46 PM.

#12 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

I think something is getting lost in the transfer of information. As you say a system restore wouldn't lose any files. I'm wondering if the virus wiped his files. He should have done a reinstall in that case.

Also if there was a virus he doesn't want to recover the files or he may become reinfected.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

Henry,

See post #9, which clarifies the actual circumstance.

Trying to recover anything after a "restore to factory" has been done is a very dicey proposition indeed whether or not viruses were involved.  It's really extreme, and generally ill-advised, to do a "restore to factory" except if other methods of disinfection have been tried and failed.  This, sadly, appears to be one of those "marry in haste, repent at leisure"-type situations where the `solution` was applied in haste.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:02 PM

Henry,

See post #9, which clarifies the actual circumstance.

Trying to recover anything after a "restore to factory" has been done is a very dicey proposition indeed whether or not viruses were involved.  It's really extreme, and generally ill-advised, to do a "restore to factory" except if other methods of disinfection have been tried and failed.  This, sadly, appears to be one of those "marry in haste, repent at leisure"-type situations where the `solution` was applied in haste.

That was my point exactly.

#15 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

Factory restore....? Oooops....not looking good *at all*

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users