Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on what to do. RIP Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 0xGUI

0xGUI

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

Hello all,
My motherboard just died and I need some kind of advice to have a functional computer again.

My Current Build:

PSU: Corsair TX650 W

GPU: MSI R9 270X Gaming Edition

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8 Ghz- OC'ed to 3.5 GHZ

CPU COOLER: Xigmatek Balder

RAM: 4GB 1600 MHZ DDR3 TeamGroup ELite

MotherBoard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 """"RIP""""

Storage: WD blue 1TB 7200 rpm+ SSD Evo 840 120 GB

With this build my main purpose was gaming, some virtualization and surfing the interwebs. Knowing this and knowing that I will buy a fairly decent laptop in September ( minimum 16 GB Ram DDR4, M.2 SSD,) for university (CS), I came up with 3 configurations for upgrading the current build with the objective to use the computer for gaming and virtualization for another 1-2 years.

To note that I intend to overclock the CPU and GPU.

With the max of 150-200 Euros to spend I came up with these:

1- New AM3 Motherboard + 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz ( Total=8 GB DDR3)

2- Pentium G4560+ A cheap Intel Motherboard+ 4GB DDR4 cheapest possible

3- Ryzen 3 1200+ A cheap B350 (because of OC) Motherboard+ 4 GB DDR4 cheapest possible

Now, I'm not sure what should I do because I will get a laptop in September and I would like to utilize some components of the current build because I think they are still good and would be a waste not using them but in the other end I don't want to spend a lot of money.

So what should I do ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

4. Used AM3(+) motherboard + 4GB DDR3.

#3 0xGUI

0xGUI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

4. Used AM3(+) motherboard + 4GB DDR3.

So going to new plantforms wont to much with my current build?

Thanks.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

When taking prices into consideration, not. Also virtualization with something like Pentium G4560 is quite slow and with Ryzen 1200 not much better. Buying just used motherboard also saves processor price and you necessarily don't need to buy expensive DDR4 memory.

I suggest you buy just cheap motherboard now and make much bigger upgrade later.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

I'd agree, the budget is really too small to do much with. Replacing the motherboard (especially as AM3 compatible boards are still widely available) and upgrading the memory seems a sensible solution.  Running VM's with 4 Gb memory must be quite restrictive.

I don't know if others have idea's on motherboard, but I thought this looked quite a nice up to date option which does support the X6 1055T, and should support overclocking (it'll happily run the 220w FX CPU's so has decent power phases) - https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/dxs8TW/asrock-motherboard-970ag31

Edited by jonuk76, 01 August 2017 - 03:38 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 0xGUI

0xGUI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

I'd agree, the budget is really too small to do much with. Replacing the motherboard (especially as AM3 compatible boards are still widely available) and upgrading the memory seems a sensible solution.  Running VM's with 4 Gb memory must be quite restrictive.

Yes, it is. I was running small linux distros, mainly small servers for testing. A new AM3+ board will do the trick and also adding 4GB of RAM will improve my tasks substantially I hope.

Is there any kind of chipset I should be aware for the AM3+ motherboard that I should buy in order to have successful OC both in GPU and in CPU?

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

I added a little edit to the end of my post about the Asrock 970A-G/3.1 (just looked like a nice board to me for a reasonable price).  The only real complaint people seem to have with them is the inconvenient USB 3 header position.  I think Drillingmachine has more knowledge on AMD systems so I expect he can chime in with suggestions.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 0xGUI

0xGUI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

I added a little edit to the end of my post about the Asrock 970A-G/3.1 (just looked like a nice board to me for a reasonable price).  The only real complaint people seem to have with them is the inconvenient USB 3 header position.  I think Drillingmachine has more knowledge on AMD systems so I expect he can chime in with suggestions.

That board seems good, I like the fact that already brings USB type C. The local shop that I trust doesn't have that board but I found some interesting for lower prices:

Gigabyte 970A-DS3P

It's a reasonable price and have all the features that I want. The rest of the money will go to RAM.

Was also looking at the:

MSI 970A-G43 PLUS

But the reviews on this one were not so great.

Another one but a little more expensive is the: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P  that looks great and more OC resistant than the DS3.

Was using this spreadsheet (don't know if it is correct) for comparing a little bit the boards but at the same time not discarding the reviews of each one.

I think that the board that I will buy now, will just be for keeping the pc running with OC and not to be future proof, if you know what I mean. In the future a major upgrade will be need, so I will keep my money for the laptop and for the future major desktop upgrade.

Anyhow thanks for the feedback I really appreciated it.

Edited by 0xGUI, 01 August 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

The Gigabyte 970A-UD3P is one that I've seen recommended for overclocking use.  Not sure on the other one.  I understand typically the downfall with the cheaper boards is that the VRM's don't support the wattages required for overclocking 6-8 core FX chips, or they overheat. I don't really know TBH how overclocking a Phenom II X6 compares in terms of power use etc.

It's worth checking suppliers for open box items etc.  For example I've had some good deals from Amazon Warehouse in the past... For example - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Motherboards/Gigabyte-970A-UD3P-Motherboard-Gigabit-Ethernet/B00F5R9O46/ref=sr_1_13?m=A2OAJ7377F756P&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1501648673&sr=1-13

Edited by jonuk76, 01 August 2017 - 11:39 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:45 AM

Was using this spreadsheet (don't know if it is correct) for comparing a little bit the boards but at the same time not discarding the reviews of each one.

I think that the board that I will buy now, will just be for keeping the pc running with OC and not to be future proof, if you know what I mean. In the future a major upgrade will be need, so I will keep my money for the laptop and for the future major desktop upgrade.

Anyhow thanks for the feedback I really appreciated it.

That list has quite good info. jonuk76 posted quite good offer for used board. Even used board should last couple of years overclocked and after that it's time for bigger upgrade anyway. There should be lot of used AM3+ boards because many AMD users have bough Ryzen so it's buyers market now.

Not sure where you would need USB C on motherboard (unless price is right), as it can be added later with discrete card.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 02 August 2017 - 07:46 AM.

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

Hello,

How big is your case? If you could get a used server motherboard, cpu and ram combo that may be better for VMs. 

2 Intel Xeon X5460

Supermicro Motherboard

32GB DDR2-667

2 Hyper 212 Evos

This would get you 8 cpu cores and 32GB of ram. The problem is you may have to mod your case to make it fit, as the motherboard may use a non-standard configuration.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 0xGUI

0xGUI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Update:

Just bought the Gigabyte 970A-UD3P and I'm pretty happy with it!

The next phase will be overclocking the CPU and GPU with the objective of obtaining decent results.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users