Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird loads with Difficulty and Slowly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pandabird

pandabird

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

The last few weeks my Mozilla Thundebird V.52.2.1 now has been loading very slowly and erratically. It seems to be having a tough time starting up and I usually need to stop the process several times and eventually it might load up properly.  This is very erratic... watching the taskmaster the program seems to access disk which increases then decreases at which point CPU starts to increase to about 30; the program only starts at near 30 so if it is having difficulty getting up there stop the app and restart.

When I start the Thunderbird  app various process IDs start, it seems to vary each time. If it loads I usually get to a main page that does not have my emails folders on the side with emails in the center in a list. I do not know if my Avast Antivirus is conflicting but I try disabling the shields for 10 minutes while I try to start Thunderbird. I do not know if this helps.

I have uninstalled Thunderbird several times with Revo Uninstaller, yet keeping my files undeleted, I would delete registry points though.  The multiple reinstals do not seem to be doing anythings. I sometimes have problems getting my calendar to load and i had to re-add the Thunderbird Lightning extension. Calendar does not seem to be loading now nor the program with the emails in the list.. more and more recently I have found it difficult to click on items as if I do so nothing happens so i just have to close the program (my mouse works fine).

I just recently, within the past week, installed a new hard drive as my main one that I have been using has been deteriorating significantly in performance yet it still works. I am now re-installing my Thunderbird onto this new drive.  However, for now I have been still booting up from the old drive while I check things out and try to change over.

I have run sfc /scannow to be certain all system files are there and it seems fine. I ran several malware progams Super antispyware,  Malwarebytes, ESET online scanner, my AVAST Boot scan,and all seems to be clean. I did find a trojan the other days via Super Anti -spyware free and it found a trojan ImageDocFake which I removed with Avast; I then toggled system restore on ALL drives. There may have been some damage to files (I don't know) so I ran Tweaking.com Windows Repair. I do not think that this is related but I am mentioning this.

If you can provide any advice /guidance in trying to find out why Thunderbird is having difficulty loading I would appreciate that.
Thank you for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

Are you cloning the old drive onto the new one...if so...shouldn't you wait to ask for help when that is completed. Seems

repairing or reinstalling programs/ files on old drive is a waste of time and effort if you are cloning that drive onto a new one.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:18 PM

I have cloned my old drive onto a new 1TB internal drive with the AOMEI Backupper. I just installed the new drive in SATA port 2. The old drive I kept connected to SATA port 0 and just moved it below the housing bay where I installed the new internal drive. The new internal drive is now on top with the old one underneath. The CD/DVD drive is connected to the SATA port 1 (There are 4 SATA ports)  I adjusted the BIOS so it boots from the new internal drive first. These seems to be correct. So far, the system seems to be fine this way but I still have this problem with Thunderbird starting up.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:50 AM

Hi,

Some questions...

How big are your mail folders? do you have all the mail in one folder or several folders?

Did you try to Compact the folders?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

I have an inbox with many subfolders. I recently archived much of the old emails to try to improve Thunderbird loading.

I believe that i did a 'compact' too recently.

Email account with main inbox has about 2GB

Local Folders Inbox-where I file mail in subfolders has about 5 GB

then, I have archived most old emails.

I have tried re-booting in SAFE MODE and i found that the Thunderbird starts up and i can view my emails. They seem to still be coming in but something is blocking me from viewing them in NORMAL mode. Calendar works well in SAFE-MODE too. I believe my AVAST is OFF in SAFE-MODE.

I believe that my AVAST "may" be part of the problem. I ran "ProcessExplorer" and found a few AVAST files starting up too. [I can post snapshots later on GoogleDrive etc.]

aswJsFlt.dll

snxhk.dll

aswhooka.dll [This comes up occasionally and I found that the HASH is not be the same as one posted on site "freefixer.com" 9if this is a legit site]

As i mentioned earlier I have found that Thunderbird seems to have an easier time starting up with AVAST shields disabled but it still does not start up easily.

For starters, I may try to uninstall AVAST and see if I still have the problem.

Then, i think I need to run Windows Repair again on this new OS. [I ran the reparse points module which needed to be fixed. CHKDSK is fine. SFC /scannow is fine.]

2 Issues:

1) I need to make sure my OS is still okay

2) Fix Thunderbird which may be just a matter of a conflict with AVAST

I appreciate any guidance or suggestions that you can provide.

#6 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

Here are captured images of the Process Explorer with other dll etc that started with Thunderbird.

At Google drive:

Captured imagesof Proc Explorer-Thunderbird boot problem 8-2017.  I will try to see how uninstalling AVAST goes.

P1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl5EFzr1y3rdFp6eWl1YURyNGM/view?usp=sharing

P2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl5EFzr1y3rN01PelJ3VHFNRTQ/view?usp=sharing

P3

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl5EFzr1y3rLXRpZGNsUkhTelU/view?usp=sharing

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:26 AM

Disconnect the old HDD use only the new one. Any speed improvement?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

I boot my OS with the new internal drive; the old one is still connected but should just be "backup" storage" while it still works. 

As for speed, the new internal drive is much faster. a run with the new internal drive with HDDScan gave 180MB/s to 120MB/sec at worst as LBA increased. On my old drive, HDDScan started at about 120 MB/s then dropped down to about 10MB/s, then came back about for a short bit, then went back down to 10 MB/s, then went up to about 120 MB/sec at the half drive full point which I probably didn't use it and slowly degraded slightly.  My old internal drive definitely needed to be replaced even though SMART still was fine.

I removed the AVAST antivirus free program from my computer last night using the AvastClear.  I also downloaded the current version of AVAST AV-free in case I re-install it. With the Avast AV removed the Thunderbird seems to start up as before again. So it looks like AVAST AV must have been conflicting with Thunderbird; a recent update of Avast AV must have been bad or malware etc. corrupted the copy on there.

For now i will leave AVAST off and just use the Windows Defender for a few days while I watch how Thunderbird works. Hopefully this resolves that issue. If things still seem good after several days then I might try to reinstall Avast. If conflicts still continue then i will need to remove AVAST AV again and use a different antivirus.

As for the other issue of my OS needing repair I need to check that out. I ran rkill from Bleeping Computer and found some issues. A number of reparse points were in question. I ran the "Reparse fix module"  of Windows Repair from Tweaking.com and this seems to have fixed the reparse problem.

Mod Edit:  Removed RKill data, not applicable to topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2017 - 11:30 AM.

#9 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

This is my current rkill log.  Mod Edit:  Removed RKill data, not requested, not applicable in this forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#10 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:59 PM

Many of the folders have since been reduced in size and archived so most folders have less than 2000 messages.

Also, AVAST was removed and I now Windows Defender for now.  For now, things seem to have been going fine after doing this.

As for the Rkill errors above:

I just read in a recent post that the rkill program produces the above in new Windows 10 editions. It is something that author is still trying to correct but may not be a problem.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/651070/windows-10-rkill-windows-service-integrity-issues/?hl=%2Brkill#entry4282414

Thanks. This thread can be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users