Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unstable HDMI connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jy217

jy217

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

Recently the connection from my laptop to monitor has been deteriorating. At first, brushing the HDMI cord would cause the screen to flicker black for a second, but it was no big deal. After a week or so sometimes the connection would stop working altogether and the monitor wouldn't receive a signal. The interesting thing is, when the HDMI cord is plugged into the computer, the monitor senses a connection for a second and turns on, but then proceeds to display "No connection" and go back to sleep. I found that moving the cord around would eventually make the monitor turn back on, but trying other cords had the same result. Finally, I discovered that applying downward pressure on the plug of the cord produced a relatively stable connection. It worked for half a week but now I am getting occasional flickers on the screen again. I suspect a bad HDMI port but could anyone help me identify the problem? Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

i've had more hdmi cables go bad then hdmi ports.   if you get the same results with a new cable then it's hdmi port is bad.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

This could be both a bad cable and bad connector.  If cables are left hanging by their connectors, the cable WILL fail.  Support lengths of cable so they are not left hanging from the port connectors.

#4 jy217

jy217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

I've already tried other cables though but the connection was still the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users