Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe file transfer from old to new computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnaubrey

johnaubrey

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

My old Windows 10 computer had been running gradually slower and slower, and I have bought a new Windows 10 replacement. I do not know if the old computer is infected with malware or not, but I want to  transfer my files from old to new computer in the safest way possible, to avoid infecting the new computer in case the old computer is infected. When I google how to safely transfer files from old to new computer, all results are about curing the old computer. I have no further interest in the old computer other than transferring files to my new computer. Advice on the safest way to do the transfer regardless of the old computer's condition would be very helpful.

It seems to me that the choices for transfer are CD, flash drive, or cloud, and I have read that CD is safer than flash drive. I have about 100 files I want to transfer. Almost all of the files are MS Word or Excel, and I have read that I should avoid transferring any files with the following extensions:
.asp
.bat
.cab
.com
.cmd
.dll
.exe
.hta
.htm
.html
.ini
.msi
.pdf
.php
.pip
.rar
.scr
.xml
.zip

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

if you only have about 100 text/word documents, that wont take up much space at all,

you can use cds if you want, but a usb stick would be easier, or an external hard drive, but im assuming you probably dont have one

just drag and drop the files to a usb drive/stick

and alternative method is to remove the hard drive from the old computer and install it as a second drive in the new computer to access your files that way, but im assuming that is beyond your knowledge and capabilities (no offense)

Edited by mikey11, 01 August 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

Slaving the drive is probably the safest as you are taking the problem operating system (OS) out of the picture.  If you perform the copy on the problem machine it would be possible to have the media infected as the infection would be up and running.  By slaving the drive you are running the OS of a different machine, hopefully uninfected.  Then you copy the files to that machine.  The act of copying the file should not allow for infection, at least I haven't heard of it yet.

#4 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Mikey11 and Kilroy.

The link about USB was very helpful, I definitely will not use a USB. The link mentioned using an SD card. Between an SD card and a CD, which do you think is safer? What about a cloud transfer? I have removed a hard drive from a laptop successfully before, but how do I "slave it" to the new computer?

Thanks

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

"Slaving it" just means connecting it as another hard drive, but not the one you boot from.  For laptops this is generally done using a USB-to-correct connection for drive in question type cable or a drive enclosure that connects via USB to the computer.

By the way, that article on USB thumb drives is not something I'd be worrying about much if you use a new thumb drive.  As the article also noted, you could use an SD or microSD card instead, and I imagine your old and new machines have SD card readers on them since they've become so common over the last few years.

If you have your new machine set up with its security running and it does realtime scanning it should be scanning the files you're copying as they are being individually copied on to the new machine's hard drive no matter what their original source.

Edited by britechguy, 02 August 2017 - 09:03 AM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Thanks Mikey11 and Kilroy.

The link about USB was very helpful, I definitely will not use a USB. The link mentioned using an SD card. Between an SD card and a CD, which do you think is safer? What about a cloud transfer? I have removed a hard drive from a laptop successfully before, but how do I "slave it" to the new computer?

Thanks

when i recommended installing the old drive into the new computer as a second drive i was assuming you were talking about desktop computers here and not laptops so maybe i was wrong?

either way, a usb drive/stick would be your easiest option.....just drag and drop the files you want

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

I use this cable on an almost daily basis for data transfers at work.  The cable is only for laptop drives and desktop drives need more power than a USB connection provides.  I have this dock for desktop drives at home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users