Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video output on graphics card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jach00

Jach00

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

Hi, it's my second topic here in last days, but I think, that these problems are independent, so I created new one.

Few days ago my graphics card stops working. There aren't any signals on video outputs, but fans work. On Dr. Debug i get b2 which means Legacy option ROM Initialization.

Problem doesn't exist with another graphics card. I didn't make any changes with BIOS. Computer worked in this configuration for nearly 5 years:

• ASRock p67 pro3
  • MSI Radeon HD7870
  • Chieftec CFT-500-A12S

I know that it all looks like broken video card, but is there a chance that I can repair it somehow?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jach00

Jach00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:22 AM

I tried with old graphics card (15 years old) and it works. Currently I'm unable to check this potentially broken card on another computer. Could I check something else?

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:31 AM

Repairing video cards is an iffy business...

If not under any sort of warranty, you have nothing to lose by removing fan shroud, attempting to reapply thermal paste to GPU heatsink and/or ram, depending on card and cooling methods employed......

Some also have resorted to removing the shroud and all plastic parts/clips, heatsink, etc..etc.., and heat PCB with GPU and RAM on it remaining in a conventional gas over to a very precise temp  meant to reflow low melting point solder without melting the board... Mixed success results...

You can research that yourself (search for 'oven method of video card repair), proceed with caution! (Again, nothing to lose if the alternative is tossing it in the trash)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 Jach00

Jach00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

I wonder - is there a chance, that capacitors will blow up during baking process? I'm not afraid of risk that I will broke graphics card harder, but risk of damaging the oven.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

my experience with baking process as you call it.  I call it a reflow.  it's never a perminent fix!  you may get it working but it will be short lived.  even if you find someone doing a re-balling service it's still a temporary fix.  gpu's are finicky and when they go bad it's just time to replace the card.

reballing doesn't work because the problem is usually internal not the connection to the circuit board.  and when you resolder the chip back to the board your basicalling doing a reflow internally

#6 Jach00

Jach00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

Instead of putting it into oven I used heat gun and it repaired card. Im aware that it isn't perminent fix, but it allows me to wait for price drops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users