Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft still giving away Windows 10 for free?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

The Windows 10 free download offer ended last July, but PC owners can still upgrade by following a few simple steps.

Users who have a properly licensed and activated version of Windows 7 and 8.1  can upgrade by go to the Download Windows 10 webpage and click the ‘Download tool now’ button.

After that has downloaded, people need to run the Media Creation Tool.

You can then choose ‘Upgrade this PC now’ if you have downloaded the Media Creation Tool onto the PC you want to upgrade and if you’re only upgrading one machine.

Bottom of the page.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

I wouldn't trust that article as far as I can throw the machine I'm reading it on.

It first tries to imply, for paragraphs and including the headline, that "Windows 10 is SHARING your files with the internet," to use its breathless prose.  I don't know of many people who consider Windows 10 update files "theirs" in any meaningful sense of the word.  Then they eventually give you the dirt simple steps to limit delivery optimization for Windows 10 updates to be strictly on your own LAN or not at all.

If the method they outline works for getting Win10 at this late date then there's a loophole in the process that MS never intended (but I wouldn't blame anyone for trying).  Scads of people are also trumpeting the offer, which is still active, for free Windows 10 upgrade for users of assistive technology, as a back door way to get it for free, which I find loathsome.  There were some pretty huge issues with Windows 10 and various assistive technologies in the early days of Windows 10 so Microsoft did the decent (and business-wise) thing and gave those who couldn't update then a mechanism to update once the kinks were worked out.  I'd prefer not to see that door closed, and it might be if the offer is abused.

Edited by britechguy, 01 August 2017 - 08:26 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

FWIW, I've installed Windows 10 on a couple of Dell Latitude E6510, E6520 and E6530 that we removed from our park and gave to employees, I used the Windows 7 licence that come with them and the activation worked :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

Information from author: Andre Da Costa, Bio in link below

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/e5564792-9930-4912-828b-e206924b132a?auth=1

His article from: June 7,2017:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/download-windows-10-free/

Microsoft Community help post response: Updated July 15, 2017

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/can-you-still-get-windows-10-for-free/ac63f9d1-309d-4e6a-9cfd-1e449fcffddd

As I do not need a free version, I did not take the steps to contact MS Support that is referenced, link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

As this is feedback, I cannot attest if the free MS program from information above is still supported.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:42 AM

It is still easy and possible  to upgrade from Win 7/8 to 10 using the media creation tool and other methods.

Microsoft is quite happy that people are doing this. If they weren't, they would shut off the possibility of doing it.

I guess it's sort of a social manipulation thing... if people think they are getting something they shouldn't (legally) then they will do it.

Microsoft wants everyone on Win 10 and this is their 'social engineering' way of doing it.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

I can't verify if what I say below is still true, being an individual who despises windows 10 I haven't tested it myself, but I did see and hear a lot of people reporting it many months after the free "upgrade" period ended.

It seems there exists a deliberate loophole left open by MS, they are afterall desperate to gather users onto 10, where ms have a webpage (don't remember where) that allows anyone to upgrade if they tick a box somewhere stating that they are in some way disabled. I think ms created the page saying it was for anyone who was using some sort of accessibility software which was only 7/8/8.1 compatible at the time that the free period ended but wanted to upgrade when the software they needede was released in a 10 compatible version, but I woulld suspect that what ms really wanted was to still be able to gain users on 10 while still being able to create the sort of "hurry up and do it now" responses that a deadline would cause in the majority of the population. This was reported on how to geek a while ago, so you'd need to search through their site for more info.

Ms is also, for those of us who blocked it every time back in the free upgrade period atleast, distributing the kb2976978 update, though the real nasty (KB3035583, GWX) is something I haven't been offered for atleast 9 months now.

Edited by rp88, 05 August 2017 - 11:50 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users