Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bitdefender free crashing my computer?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 somae

somae

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

I've been using bitdefender free for over 3 years with no problems. Recently they've been announcing an upgrade and the computer started having problems around then. It started rebooting suddenly. I did a scan using bitdefender and it found malware. There weren't any problems after that until I tried to install their upgrade.

Ever since then the computer has been crashing (rebooting) often. I tried using system restore and I used revo uninstaller to uninstall bitdefender but it still crashes. Maybe it affected firefox because the computer hasn't crashed so far this time and I'm using internet explorer.

I'm using windows 7 pro x64.

I'm now using windows defender as the anti-virus. Thinking of uninstalling firefox and reinstalling.

I've seen a few things in a google search about problems with the bitdefender upgrade.

Help appreciated.

Edited by somae, 01 August 2017 - 05:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

do a system restore to a point previous of the problems,

after that i would recommend uninstalling bitdefender and using windows defender or MSE

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

Hi all!

If you want to repair or remove Bitdefender Free Edition, please follow this guide:

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/repairing-or-removing-bitdefender-free-edition-1160.html

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

Reinstalling your system is your best bet. I recommend Windows 10. If you're worried about spying or generally interested in tweaking it, read this : https://hackernoon.com/the-2017-pentester-guide-to-windows-10-privacy-security-cf734c510b8d

I'm sorry to say this but Bitdefender amongst a few other AVs are generally unstable software that will probably do more harm than good. If you follow best security practices https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/ then Windows Defender / MSE is good enough for you.  It won't block every single malware, but it offers enough protection and it won't break your computer.

Most malware (more than 99%) is invited in by the user's interaction in one way or another and it is not hard to protect against it. In short : update your computer, don't download weird stuff, don't visit crappy websites, fortify your browser and you're good to go.

If you do stuff you shouldn't be doing then download Avast. It is a crappy adware botnet at this point but it protects well and it is less likely to break your system down than bitdefender. Also, it's free. Kaspersky free is another honorable mention.

If you're using Firefox then consider installing NoScript. You can enable scripts so you don't have to fix each website you visit and it will still prevent bad redirects, meaning exploits and thus malware. Combine that with uBlock Origin and you're good to go.

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 01 August 2017 - 02:09 PM.

#5 somae

somae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

Found out what the problem was. The computer was plugged into a surge protector strip that has an on-off button. It seems the button somehow got put into a position in between on and off. At a certain point the computer was rebooting over and over from the bios screen - so I started wondering if the power supply was going bad. But after plugging it into a different power strip, it no longer had any problems.

However, I have a problem left over with bitdefender. It partially upgraded and now I can't uninstall it.

It is supposed to have an option to repair or uninstall but it doesn't.

Not sure what to do at this point.

#6 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

Why can't you uninstall it? Does it display some kind of an error message? Try to download their uninstaller, maybe it will help. https://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/uninstall_consumer_trial.html

They don't have an option for their free version, just use a different one. It should remove it.

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 02 August 2017 - 07:39 AM.

#7 somae

somae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:16 AM

When I try to uninstall it from the control panel>programs, it brings up the request for admin password which I give and then it doesn't do anything.

#8 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

Try that uninstall tool and then inform us if it worked.

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 02 August 2017 - 08:21 AM.

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

Hi again, all!

Sorry for chiming in, but:

I did a scan using bitdefender and it found malware.

Did you remove the malware that Bitdefender found?

Please note that having active malware on your computer could disrupt the installation of Bitdefender Free Edition and even cause it to fail, according to this guide:

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-do-i-install-bitdefender-free-edition-1158.html

By default, a quick scan is performed before the Bitdefender components are installed to ensure no active malware is residing on your system. It is highly recommended to allow the scan to be performed. Active malware could disrupt the installation and even cause it to fail.

Given your issue, I assume this also goes for uninstalling Bitdefender Free Edition.

Thank you!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#10 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

I agree with midi. Your problems could be caused by malware and it might be hard to remove it. That's why your safest bet is to reinstall your OS. See my first post in this thread.

..but try that uninstaller first

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 02 August 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#11 somae

somae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

I ran the bitdefender uninstaller and it uninstalled it.

I did remove the malware it found but I also did a system restore to a date before all this started.

I think I'm getting closer to the problem. I noticed that firefox was using a lot of memory. I checked out the cpu temps and they were over heating. I exited from firefox and the temps went back to the low 60s and 50s. Internet explorer doesn't over heat the cpu. I don't know if maybe there's malware that's using firefox.

I think the bitdefender installation program may have over heated the cpu.

I'm now using Microsoft security essentials as antivirus and firewall. It found no threats after scanning.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Edited by somae, 03 August 2017 - 08:15 AM.

#12 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

I did remove the malware it found but I also did a system restore to a date before all this started.

if you did a system restore AFTER removing the malware, the system restore could bring it back,

i would suggest you run ADWCleaner, then Malwarebytes Anti Malware

#13 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

Hi again, all!

Great to hear that the Bitdefender Uninstaller worked! Thanks for the notice, as Bitdefender Free Edition officially does not have a dedicated Uninstall Tool. :wink:

I am sure other members having similar issues with Bitdefender Free Edition will appreciate that the official and dedicated Bitdefender Uninstall Tool for Bitdefender Paid Editions works on all Editions. :thumbsup:

Regards,
midimusicman79

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

I'm now using Microsoft security essentials as antivirus and firewall. It found no threats after scanning.

Although Microsoft Security Essentials provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.If you choose to use Microsoft Security Essentials, then I recommend adding an additional anti-malware solution. Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for information about trustworthy and effective anti-malware programs which can find and remove adware, spyware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 somae

somae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:39 AM

if you did a system restore AFTER removing the malware, the system restore could bring it back,

i would suggest you run ADWCleaner, then Malwarebytes Anti Malware

Actually, I did run malwarebytes and it didn't find anything. Same thing when I ran Eset.

The most recent avenue I'm wondering about is that I purchased a "gaming" mouse (laser) recently from ebay and the last time the reboot thing happened windows repair said to disconnect any new devices. After disconnecting the new mouse, firefox no longer seems to be over-heating the cpu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users