Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How safe and reliable are generic/non-brand motherboards?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tantrik

tantrik

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:49 AM

Processor: Intel Core i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
Motherboard: Asus H81M-E
Memory: Transcend 2GB DIMM DDR3 1333 MHz

Dear friends,

More than 3 years back my pc had a intel core i3 first generation processor in intel motherboard. Both the processor and motherboard had 3 years warranty. Unfortunately, the motherboard died out just after 2 years and I got a small refund from the distributor since that exact model of motherboard was unavailable. I looked for a compatible motherboard for the processor but to no avail. Then I was forced to buy the present processor and motherboard which I am still continuing to use without any major issues or hassle.

That time and present day, many generic/non-brand motherboards were available which could be used to run the first generation intel core i3 processor but I could not trust the reliability of those motherboards. I read in few sites that generic motherboards might burn internal parts (i.e. hdd etc) and damage the processor.

Now I still have the first generation processor unused. Is it safe and reliable to use the processor in a generic motherboard if I plan to make another pc? In my place there are generic motherboards like winbird, starex etc all made in china. It would be great if anyone having or not having any kind of experience or expertise with generic motherboards would share their views and thoughts here. 

Thanks in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ilonggo

ilonggo

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:59 AM

Hi Tantrik,

I am not a generic motherboard user. Personally, I don't recommend Generic motherboard. It's not because it is bad, many technicians build PC with generic motherboard for those clients that wanted cheap PC build. However, what makes it not a good choice is its support, especially the BIOS support. The other thing is, your computer's resell value, if you want to sell your computer someday. Most buyers prefer branded motherboards.

Try to look online, find a branded motherboard for your core i3-4130 CPU

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

I've not ever seen a "generic motherboard", even the boards used by OEMs (HP, Dell, etc.) are made by known board makers, even if they are supplied an OEM parts number before assembled as a system.

Louis

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

A motherboard is an item where I think it's necessary to have some form of support, in terms of drivers, BIOS updates etc. Do you get that with a "generic" board? I doubt it. I've never seen generic motherboards sold where I am...

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 tantrik

tantrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:30 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestion in this matter. Highly appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users