Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Survived Clean?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Endermental

Endermental

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:11 AM

I used the diskpart clean command and I cleaned both my hard drive and my SSD. When I went to install windows again, I found that I couldn't update it and it didn't give an error code. I already was able to install the latest update through the website but I am worried that the virus might still be on my computer. Can someone give an explanation as to why it wasn't updating correctly? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:55 AM

Did you install Windows on your SSD or HDD? There could be plenty of reason. Maybe you haven't cleaned it thoroughly. If you are still worried about the virus, you could try bootable anti-virus to scan your PC fully or just install Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, JRT and some form of rootkit removal and scan with all of them to ensure that you are actually safe. As for the explanation about updates, I am not too sure, so I do not want to provide you with a false answer.

#3 Endermental

Endermental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

Did you install Windows on your SSD or HDD? There could be plenty of reason. Maybe you haven't cleaned it thoroughly. If you are still worried about the virus, you could try bootable anti-virus to scan your PC fully or just install Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, JRT and some form of rootkit removal and scan with all of them to ensure that you are actually safe. As for the explanation about updates, I am not too sure, so I do not want to provide you with a false answer.

I installed it onto the SSD but I am pretty sure the virus moved from the HDD onto the SSD. I have installed Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, and Kaspersky and all of them say it is safe. I don't need a definite answer to why it wasn't updating, I would just like to know any possible reason.

#4 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:44 AM

Possible reasons: Internet connection issues, software malfunction, driver malfunction, registry issues, corrupted install, corrupted Windows image, disks not cleaned thoroughly enough, rootkit blocking security updates, general rootkit, network virus blocking Windows update, corrupted SDD? (Not sure if that is an actual issue) and probably more reasons that I can think of, not counting all the potential hardware malfunctions and so on. There are plenty of reasons why something might or might not work :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users