Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Trouble backing up my users

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hazy123

hazy123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:23 PM

I thought my laptop died the other day with all of my user profiles and data. I was finally able to get it working again. After that the first thing I wanted to do was to back it up. I made a full system image. I wanted to test it on a different laptop but it wouldnt work because the newer laptop was running windows 10 and my image was from windows 7. I attempted to do a restore and install windows 7 from a cd but it just would no work. All I really need is all of my user profiles and their data, mainly desktop folders. I was manually taking what I needed by navigating the C drive and specific user folders but I have way too many and it will take too long. I tried to copy and paste all of them but it will not allow me unless I first click each individual folder to request the required permissions. How can i copy and paste all of them to a new drive without the need for the special permissions? Thanks

Edited by hazy123, 31 July 2017 - 11:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

If I understand the situation, I'm recommending you restore Windows 7 to the original hard-drive in the original computer.  Or, did I misunderstand the situation?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hazy123

hazy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:47 AM

If I understand the situation, I'm recommending you restore Windows 7 to the original hard-drive in the original computer.  Or, did I misunderstand the situation?

No you did not misunderstand. The only thing is, I want to be able to access my user profiles data should i need a new computer. I want the data backed up on an external hard drive.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:07 AM

After you made a full image, onto a target drive, of the source drive; as a test, you did restore that full image onto your normal OS and data drive, correct?  Because the original computer restoration test worked flawlessly, you are assured that the full image can be restored onto a hard-drive of a new computer - should that day ever come.

"...All I really need is all of my user profiles and their data, mainly desktop folders. I was manually taking what I needed by navigating the C drive and specific user folders but I have way too many and it will take too long. I tried to copy and paste all of them but it will not allow me unless I first click each individual folder to request the required permissions. How can i copy and paste all of them to a new drive without the need for the special permissions?"

I realize it is 2AM over here, I still do not understand why all of the above is necessary.  If the full image making and the full image restoring works, why is all that copying necessary?  Even if you restored the full image on "top of" the Windows 10 computer, everything on the original hard-drive is now on the Windows 10 computer -- if the following boot of the target computer did not work, it probably:

-- had something to do with: target drives' partition(s) not being marked and set correctly by the restoration process

-- did not have something to do with alleged missing user profile material

I know a little bit about platter-driven internal HDs, platter-driven external HDs' backup, restore, cloning operations, therefore I must be missing something or some things about your two computers situation.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 hazy123

hazy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

After you made a full image, onto a target drive, of the source drive; as a test, you did restore that full image onto your normal OS and data drive, correct?  Because the original computer restoration test worked flawlessly, you are assured that the full image can be restored onto a hard-drive of a new computer - should that day ever come.

"...All I really need is all of my user profiles and their data, mainly desktop folders. I was manually taking what I needed by navigating the C drive and specific user folders but I have way too many and it will take too long. I tried to copy and paste all of them but it will not allow me unless I first click each individual folder to request the required permissions. How can i copy and paste all of them to a new drive without the need for the special permissions?"

I realize it is 2AM over here, I still do not understand why all of the above is necessary.  If the full image making and the full image restoring works, why is all that copying necessary?  Even if you restored the full image on "top of" the Windows 10 computer, everything on the original hard-drive is now on the Windows 10 computer -- if the following boot of the target computer did not work, it probably:

-- had something to do with: target drives' partition(s) not being marked and set correctly by the restoration process

-- did not have something to do with alleged missing user profile material

I know a little bit about platter-driven internal HDs, platter-driven external HDs' backup, restore, cloning operations, therefore I must be missing something or some things about your two computers situation.

Thank you. Also, how can I copy all of my user profile folders from the c drive without the requirement for special permissions?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

"...how can I copy all of my user profile folders from the c drive without the requirement for special permissions?"

If you mean rapid-fire, all at once, all the folders in one giant pass -- I don't know.  I'll listen in alongside you and learn what you learn from the others here in BC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users