Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternative software that can replace Adobe Acrobat DC?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 goodluckman65

goodluckman65

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:19 PM

I am tired of paying a monthly fee when I seldom make PDF files.

I usually do some  scanning and make a PDF file but not often.

I also like to load  up my tablet with a PDF book to read.

Thanks

Goodluckman65

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:26 PM

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for other than getting rid of full Adobe Acrobat DC.  You can always go to Adobe Reader DC if all you're generally doing is reading PDF files.  There are myriad other reader options:  PDF-Xchange Editor & Foxit are but two.

Most scanner software can generate a PDF file and does not require anything from Adobe to do so.

You need to do a web search on "PDF Reader" and start trying out various ones to see which one you like best. 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 goodluckman65

goodluckman65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:58 PM

I was asking to make pdf's say from a word document that I wrote  is there an alternative pdf creator. I understand that the  scanner  can  create a pdf.  So is the Adobe reader free?

Thanks for responding so fast

#4 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:46 AM

If only for creating files from your word document; You can use print and "save as pdf" option for saving them or any free pdf printer( I only used "bullzip pdf printer" earlier now I am not using as I am directly using option of save as pdf).

Not only word but generally any printable file.

For editing pdf files then you will need a pdf editor. Foxit is a suggestion (well I have used it once.) But as Brian said try the free trails and finally use the one you felt comfortable with.

Sumatra pdf reader is what I am using for reading pdf files, though not that much stylish and rich it is low on memory usage and opens multiple other formats as well.

Hoping you would find a solution soon.

Edited by Hareen, 01 August 2017 - 12:48 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,023 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

As Hareen has mentioned virtually every version of Word since Word 2007 (I think, it might be 2010) has had a "Save as" option that includes PDF.  Even so, the size created by MS-Word is too large for my taste, so I use PDFCreator (a virtual printer) to create all of my PDF files.

My favorite reader/editor, even in its free form, is Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Editor.  The OCR capability that's built in is a godsend when you get an old image scanned PDF of an article, or any text, and would like to be able to search it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 goodluckman65

goodluckman65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

Hi

I did  look up commendation to rracker Software's PDF-XChange Editor but I did not see a free version or did I miss read your post.  I often miss things online as my eye sight  is compromised.

Thanks again

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,023 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

PDF-XChange Editor, found on this Tracker Software download page, notes:  

Around 85% of the features require no license to use.
Approx 15% of the advanced features which are clearly identified will place a trial watermark on output if used without a license

When you go through the installer you eventually get to a screen where you choose either the free version or licensed version.

I've never used nor needed the 15% that require a license.  You can also use PDF-XChange Viewer if all you need is to view PDFs and/or occasionally run OCR on an old image-scanned PDF and save it with a text layer.  I really find this software far preferable to PDF-XChange Editor if you really have no intention of actually editing PDF files.  The interface is simpler and a bit "cleaner," which makes sense because it's not so feature rich.

Edited by britechguy, 02 August 2017 - 09:41 AM.
Added discussion of PDF-XChange Viewer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users