Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External adapter to read Samsung PM841 mSATA 256GB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gj62

gj62

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Well, the title says it all.  My Dell won't boot and I want to retrieve data off this drive if I can.  Can anyone recommend an external adapter/cable that would allow me to read this drive via USB from my laptop?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

See https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=samsung+pm841&rmvSB=true&_sop=12&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XmSATA+to+USB+adapter.TRS0&_nkw=mSATA+to+USB+adapter&_sacat=0

for starters.  I don't happen to have an adapter or cable with adapter of this style as I've not had to deal with mSATA, yet.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

For occasional use - primarily as a servicing tool - I use a docking station like either of the products listed below. As a servicing tool they have the advantage of working with both 2.5" and 3.5" drives. These links are merely to give you an idea of what will do the job, there is no reccommendation behind them, they are just the first two from different makers I came across.

Orico® 2.5 / 3.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station for SATA III HDD / SSD - UASP for SATA 6 Gbps

Tccmebius TCC-S862 USB 2.0 to 2.5 3.5 Inch SATA IDE Dual Slots External Hard Drive Docking Station with All in 1 Card Reader and USB 2.0 Hub For 2.5" 3.5" IDE SATA I/II/III

Note that both these devices only handle SATA disks, if you ever need to read an IDE disk you will need a different one.

Chris Cosgrove

PS  Check carefully before ordering, thanks to Brian for pointing out this is an mSATA drive.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 31 July 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,670 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

Chris, I don't believe your links will work for mSATA.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:16 PM

I ended up ordering this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/172283626160  just so I have one in my "bag of tricks."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

@JohnC #4

Brian posted at the same time as I did but I didn't see his post until a little later, by which time my post was in.

I apologise, this time I screwed up !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

Chris Cosgrove wrote, in part, "I apologise, this time I screwed up!"

Hmmmmm.   Shall I accept it?  Shall I accept it?

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users