Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browsers would not load pages, Chrome vanished, modem now not sending or online

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blooming18

blooming18

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

Hello.  After over a week of no real help, my thread has been locked and I was told to start two new topics.  Here's the original and hopefully someone knows the problem(s) before I contact my ISP (which says they use Cablelynx Broadband).  I'm at work for 8 hours, so this is all the information I have at the moment.  

I have an HP Pavilion with Windows 8.1 and a Motorola cable modem (had since maybe 2009). Everything was working fine until I woke up the next day and my browsers would not load pages. It said I had an Internet connection, all modem lights on, but Chrome and Internet Explorer would not load any pages. I HAD unplugged the modem the night before to move around furniture and there may have been automatic Windows updates that week.  

I tried suggestions such as a Malwarebytes scan, unplugging, a DNS flush, removing McAfee, and a system restore. The restore did not fix the problem, and afterwards I could not even open Chrome. It would not let me uninstall or reinstall. Then sometime later, Chrome completely vanished, icons and folder.

I hooked up the modem to an older eMachines and it worked fine; I was able to get on the Internet. However, hours later I could not get on. The modem stopped sending and being online. Only the Power light comes on solid green and the Receive light blinks green and the PC Activity Amber. Send and Online lights do not come on anymore. I hooked up the coaxial cable to a TV and it worked for that and I think the ethernet cable is okay too.

Do you know the problem and how to fix it? Does it sound like a virus or bad modem or something on my ISP's end? Thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hello

Regarding this part:

I hooked up the modem to an older eMachines and it worked fine; I was able to get on the Internet. However, hours later I could not get on. 

It was the eMachine that stopped working, right?

tfn

#3 blooming18

blooming18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

Hello

Regarding this part:

I hooked up the modem to an older eMachines and it worked fine; I was able to get on the Internet. However, hours later I could not get on. 

It was the eMachine that stopped working, right?

tfn

No.  I'd plugged the modem into the older computer (eMachines) and it worked.  The connection was there and all lights were on and I surfed the Net for a while.  I either put the computer to sleep or shut it down completely and went to bed or out shopping (I don't remember).  Then when I went back to it later, I couldn't get on the Net.  I noticed that the modem's Send light and Online light were no longer on.  The modem/connection had worked fine on the old computer but hours later it stopped.    

Edited by blooming18, 01 August 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

Who is your ISP? 

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

Also, the cable modem you have is this your own personal, or is it issued by your ISP?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#6 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

No.  I'd plugged the modem into the older computer (eMachines) and it worked.  The connection was there and all lights were on and I surfed the Net for a while.  I either put the computer to sleep or shut it down completely and went to bed or out shopping (I don't remember).  Then when I went back to it later, I couldn't get on the Net.  I noticed that the modem's Send light and Online light were no longer on.  The modem/connection had worked fine on the old computer but hours later it stopped.    

My apologies, my first language isn't english so I have some trouble understanding your answer.

I am still trying to determine if you plugged in the eMachines computer and used that one until you went to sleep and it then stopped working

Or, if you tested the eMachine, unplugged it, plugged in the newer computer, it worked and then stopped working

tfn 

Edited by toofarnorth, 01 August 2017 - 09:00 PM.

#7 blooming18

blooming18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

Also, the cable modem you have is this your own personal, or is it issued by your ISP?

Just a local company called Resort.

The modem was issued by them. 

#8 blooming18

blooming18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

My apologies, my first language isn't english so I have some trouble understanding your answer.

I am still trying to determine if you plugged in the eMachines computer and used that one until you went to sleep and it then stopped working

Or, if you tested the eMachine, unplugged it, plugged in the newer computer, it worked and then stopped working

tfn 

After the modem stopped working on my main computer (HP), I unplugged it and then plugged it into the older computer (eMachines).  It worked for a while on the eMachines but then stopped.  I may have tried it again on the main computer later on but not before it stopped on the older computer.  

Thank you for your reply.  

Edited by blooming18, 02 August 2017 - 09:32 PM.

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

Ok, so you have had the same cable modem from your ISP for 8 years? Have they not once attempted to upgrade their equipment, really?

Edited by arlattimor, 02 August 2017 - 09:24 PM.

A. Lattimore

#10 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:20 PM

Well blooming18, I would say that it is a good bet that the problem is with your cable modem. You change out networking equipment every couple of years, wow. I would have your ISP change out that cable modem immediately!!

Edited by arlattimor, 02 August 2017 - 09:24 PM.

A. Lattimore

#11 blooming18

blooming18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

Ok, so you have had the same cable modem from your ISP for 8 years? Have they not once attempted to upgrade their equipment, really?

Haha I don't think they have -- but they HAVE upgraded their fees about 10 times since I first got cable and Internet.  Don't get me started on that company.  But it's all that's around.

Thank you for your reply. 

#12 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

No problem, I would raise a little hell with your ISP on this one, seems like they are trying to be cheap and not change out or upgrade equipment.  :nono:  :axe:  :angry:  

A. Lattimore

#13 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:25 AM

Well blooming18, I would say that it is a good bet that the problem is with your cable modem.

+1 on this

If the problem persists with both machines and there are lights "missing" on the modem there is something going on that the ISP needs to look at

An 8 year old modem might have components that are failing causing this issue

Hth!

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users