Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How effective converting Dual Band N router into Wireless AP?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mingo70

Mingo70

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Upgraded my home router to an AC Tri-band Router (Linksys EA8300) and am considering setting up my old Router as an AP Netgear (WNDR4300) for the downstairs

My question is if I proceed with setting this up, will I incur more latency since lack of beamforcing and is this overall worth doing? 

Thoughts? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

I certainly wouldn't even think of doing this unless you are having problems with getting a signal somewhere that you need it.

Wireless N was a major improvement over G and AC is an even bigger improvement than N was as far as signal penetration through obstructions.  

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Mingo70

Mingo70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

Awesome man, I appreciate the input and more than addressed my concerns. Will definitely not go forward with the setup.  

Thanks @Britechguy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users