Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive/Memory Problems Help?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Snowwolf24

Snowwolf24

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

So let me just start by saying that I own a Msi Stealth Pro (forgive me but I do not know the GE number) that is one of the best affordable gaming laptops I've tried to get my hands on and I love it for what it is. It's graphics card is a little outdated but it's still decent all the same - except for one singular problem. The hard drives. Now I don't know if this is a widespread thing with the hard drives being partitioned this was but it's a common problem I've found with Msi products. 

(It seems that being able to upload images here is harder than it seems, I will have to link them individually for people to view and look at them.)

This first image is showing both my C and D drives as they stand right now, this is after an attempted de-fragment (I can defrag the D drive but the option is greyed for C even after analysation.) As you can see I have a 237Gb partition and a 912GB second partition. This is a 1tb laptop. I don't know why they have done it like this,but all I know is that I ALWAYS install my programs into the D drive for space, and I understand that some magical computer gremlin puts some of the files in the C drive anyway. But it's not like it takes up a lot of room. I know my Adobe caches tend to take up a tone of room and I clean these after every video edit. There are no game clients and their respected games installed on there. There should be nothing more than just the main system files. About 4 or 5gb of the space I know is from my downloads folder as I have videos in there so I can clear them once I finish editing them. So why is there so much of the space taken up? What could possible take over 150GB of space? 

http://fav.me/dbida3k

( I hope you can see it. ) 

My computer friend, who builds his own computers, couldn't even figure out why so much space is taken up. 

http://fav.me/dbidbau

http://fav.me/dbidbvc

This second image shows the first of the two Program Files folders. The second link shows the x86 version showing that both have a total of 14/15GB of memory used. The Windows folder has a total of 22.6GB of memory used. Autodesk follows with 2.8GB because Maya does take a bit of space - but I DID install that on the D drive. The hidden folder Recovery is around 6GB but there is nothing else there that would equal the 191GB that's just sitting there filled.

When I do a disk-clean up I tend to be removing 10GB in temporary files each time and emptying the recycle bin every time I fill it too. I've not had much success in figuring this out, so I ask all of you smart people can you guys give me some advice, cause it's actually affecting my performance. Which has a load of repercussions on my laptop - heating up etc. I get the little message from MSi storage pop up now every time I switch my laptop on telling me it's running out of space. And I do not want to resort in a factory reset again as I've had to do that after I finished all my University work as it took SOOO much time and memory to get that finished. 

I appreciate the help, I will attach the images separated as well if you can match them up to the ones I've linked. Thanks for the help, 

Snow. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   23.07KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   390.63KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   369.36KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

If this was actually a 1TB laptop those drive sizes aren't possible.  I'm guessing that you have a 256 Solid State Drive (SSD), probably an M2, which looks more like a card than a drive, and a 1TB mechanical drive.

You can give SpaceSniffer a try to see where your data is.  I'm guessing your App Data directory.

#3 Snowwolf24

Snowwolf24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:02 PM

If this was actually a 1TB laptop those drive sizes aren't possible.  I'm guessing that you have a 256 Solid State Drive (SSD), probably an M2, which looks more like a card than a drive, and a 1TB mechanical drive.

You can give SpaceSniffer a try to see where your data is.  I'm guessing your App Data directory.

Is there a difference? I mean besides the obvious - I have not really comprehended all of the computer world yet XD 

I am using this space sniffer program but how do I use it - like when it finds the bigger things as I don't know what the laptop needs and what I can just trash? :D 

The msi message that pops up does say SSD space is low. And warns that it will shortern the life expectancy of it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users